Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Apocalypso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apocalypso

I learned my lesson with this one - must research ALL movies suggested by DH before agreeing to see one. He dragged me to this, I had no idea what it was about. It was absolutely awful. I've come to the conclusion that Mel Gibson is one weird guy (he directed). Set in Myan times, there were human sacrafice scenes, torture, you name it. It was unbelievably gruesome, most of which was just unessecary, no plot and subtitles throughout (try following subtitles while avoiding the scene on screen). My stomach is churning even thinking about it even though I had my eyes closed for most of it. Even DH thought it was bad but of course he still claimed that he liked it.

What a waste of money.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

We really liked this one. But yes, it's very very very violent. Very. And it's all the more cringe-worthy because I think a lot of the things shown really have been perpetrated repeatedly throughout human history (not the chase scenes, but the ransack-the-village/genocide stuff).

Mel has some major issues, but the man does know movie-making. He's especially good at getting the audience behind his protagonist, and in the theatre we saw this in, the audience actually clapped a time or two when Jaguar Paw would win a small victory against his agressors. You really want him to win.

And there's some impressively shot scenes in the Mayan city part. "Cast of thousands"-looking stuff.

And there's an amusingly over-the-top birth scene. My husband said, "You know that woman who gave birth while trapped in a tree during Katrina? Turns out she was a wimp!"

Yeah, I can see how this would not be everyone's cup of tea (did I mention the graphic violence?) but we both thought it was a well-done action/chase movie.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I will say that this movie is the type that one thinks about long afterward. In particular, the historical context of this movie makes me contemplate the overall evil of mankind and whether we can truly overcome ourselves. :|

It was super cringeworthy but still worthwhile.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We saw this a couple of weeks ago. If you think this was gory in a theater, imagine watching the first scenes while biting into a burger at a dinner and a movie place.

And then of course the whole med student group absolutely had to get together and discuss all the medical inaccuracies as soon as the credits started rolling. Did I also mention how many times I've been told that the Mayans never met the Spaniards? I think I lost count.
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

Working...
        X