Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Netflix vs Blockbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix vs Blockbuster

We haven't signed up for either Netflix or Blockbuster - to have movies mailed to us. For those of you who have, what has been your experience...is one better than the other as far as fees, mailing times, and movies being available?

Re: Netflix vs Blockbuster

I think the big advantage with Blockbuster is you can get another movie in the store OR have it mailed to you. Netflix is just MAIL only.

Since we don't have a Blockbuster close, this doesn't apply to us.

I love Netflix. LOVE IT. Two thumbs up. I think we pay 10 dollars a month for unlimited movies? It takes two days to get another movie. We could pay a couple more dollars and have two movies at once so you could watch a movie, send it back and still have another movie to watch while the first one is in route.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

We too don't have a Blockbuster so we use Netflix, our Netflix shipping facility is like two hours away so I can put a movie in the mail on Monday and have a new one on Wednesday.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have Blockbuster, the 3 movies at once one, and I love it. I can exchange them at the store for a new movie, and the same day I turn them in, they ship me a new one, so I can have as many as 6 movies at a time. I also get a coupon once a month for a free game rental. Those are expensive, so I really like that. I wouldn't do Netlfix just because of all the perks with using the store too.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We have had Netflix and have also tried out Blockbuster.

I can see the advantages of Blockbuster, but when we had our trial period, the Blockbuster 3 blocks away from us, and on my way to the bus stop, closed for good! That would mean that I would have to walk to the one 9 blocks away, and I'm not up for that. I'm a lazy bum, I know... From what I see in Chicago, BB are closing left and right. Just buyer beware of that.

Netflix is great. Like for Cheri, the turnaround on DVDs was good for us too!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I get movies back so quickly with Netflix -- usually faster than I have time to watch them.

I have some gripes with Blockbuster so I wouldn't use it even if it was free.

Comment

We've never tried Netflix, but we've had a Blockbuster Total Access account for a few years now. The service isn't the best, but we keep it because we're never w/o a movie. So if you do have a blockbuster store near by, I'd go with them. If we didn't have a store close by, we'd go with Netflix.
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We have Blockbusters near us, but still prefer Netflix. And the turnaround time is fast enough for us. We pay $8.99/mo for 1 movie out at a time, with an unlimited number of movies per month. We only get to watch around 1 movie a week, so this works out perfectly for us.
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                  I get movies back so quickly with Netflix -- usually faster than I have time to watch them.

I have some gripes with Blockbuster so I wouldn't use it even if it was free.
                  Ditto to both statements.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks for all the input, everyone! This has really been helpful.

Comment

A little late...like always. But I hate Blockbuster and can never turn my back on Netflix....plus the guy who started the company is a graduate of DH and my alma mater Go U BEARS!!
                      Danielle
                      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

We also have Blockbuster. It is really much easier to get a new new release from the store than it is through the on line Q, in my experience. Also it's easier for the kids to find something they'd like there too. We use it all the time- take our 3 movies in and get 3 new ones right there at the store, and usually the next 3 arrive either the next day or at latest 2 days later.

My sis had a bad experience with Netflix, but that was because the distributor wasn't close to her (about 300 miles away) and so it took forever for her movies to get to her. Plus the distrubutor was a smaller branch, and so if she wanted something with a "short wait" she had to clear her whole Q otherwise they'd just go down the list to get the next "available" one they had at that distributor. This was a problem because she likes foreign films, and apparently the "local" distributor didn't stock those.
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I've had both. Being in the middle of the country has certain advantages. Literally a one day turnaround. I think I like Blockbuster more b/c you can drop off and pick new movies AND get new ones shipped to you. It helps to avoid the "oh - why on earth did I list this in my queue?" when you go to the mailbox.

Comment

Ya'll convinced me. I signed up with Netflix. I went with them over Blockbuster since we don't go to Blockbuster here anyway...we always end up at Hollywood Video.....and really no video store is that convenient to our house anyway. I'll report back after using it for a few months. I'm excited!!!
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm excited about the "watch on PC" feature! It's something I don't think Russ would like (sound quality, video quality, etc), but I'm WAY less picky about that kinda stuff and I can use it to watch the "feel good-happy ending" stuff that drives him crazy!
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X