Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gone Baby Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gone Baby Gone

Directed by Ben Affleck.

With Casey Affleck, Michelle Monaghan, Morgan Freeman. Ed Harris and Amy Madigan are also in the movie.

Based on the Dennis Lehane novel about two Boston area detectives.

I'd give this movie an "okay" rating.

The cast was exceptional. I thought both the story as a whole and the specific script had problems. Casey Affleck's character wasn't developed at all at the beginning. Then the audience has to "buy" that he's this noble neighborhood detective who risks everything for one case. Why does he do this? It's never answered. That bothered me.

Some of the lines/monologues are trite.

I really liked the questions the movie raised. The mother in the story is a nightmare -- but she IS the child's mother. If you're a parent I think there is a special "tear your heart out" quality at the end. I picture my two kids in place of any of the children in this movie and I get a lump in my throat and I'm close to tears.

I also liked how "gritty" the movie was. It's how I picture a tough Boston neighborhood. The movie was authentic that way. I can't IMAGINE living like that, and yet, there it was on the screen. Many minor characters were plucked out of the actual neighborhood where they filmed. Women my age looked closer to my mother's age. It's a tough life.

I Netflixed the movie because I liked the cast, the novel, and I wondered if Ben could direct a good movie.

For a first time director I'd give Ben a C+. The movie shines in areas and leaves the audience flat in others.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: Gone Baby Gone

ITA
    Needs

Comment

I just watched this movie this week and I absolutely loved it. I think it should have been up for some awards. I love the twists and turns in the storyline.

Then of course the end, really makes you question your moral compass. The person I watched it with and I completely disagreed about what should have been done. I personally think he should have turned the other cheek for the child's sake.
      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We watched this on our vacation and really liked it. I felt that the protagonist did the right thing at the end, but knew that he was going to bear the responsibility for that choice in a very real way for many years afterward.....and sure enough, the last scene lets you see that. The whole movie was just so authentic as far as the setting and the actors. I thought Ben Affleck did a great job for a first-time director!
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
        X