Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Charlie Wilson's War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Wilson's War

We just watched this one last night. DH & I both liked it quite a bit - especially after watching Lions for Lambs recently. I'm sure a lot of people already saw it in the theater, but we're cheap & usually wait for the DVD.

It's based on a true story about helping protect Afghanistan during the Cold War (training, providing weapons) but failing to help them recuperate afterward. There was a lot of nudity in the beginning, and some language, so we can't recommend it to our more sensitive relatives. It's too bad, because it is a great, timely, historical movie.

I love Tom Hanks. I can't think of any movie he's been in that I don't like. Julia Roberts' hair & makeup was a bit over the top, but hey, that was probably appropriate for the time, too.

Re: Charlie Wilson's War

Yeah- we looked like that in the 80s. I've never had such big hair in my life.

Jenn

Comment

Can't stand Julia Roberts, but want to see the movie. How much screen time does she have?
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

How much screen time does she have?
        It's actually not that much! This is a different kind of role for her. I'm not a big fan, either, but I think because her character is so over-the-top, she didn't bug me this time.

Yeah- we looked like that in the 80s. I've never had such big hair in my life.
        Let's see... in the 80s, I was in jr high. I think it was just my "bangs" that were enormous then (and very flammable).

Comment

Interesting story.
          Good movie.
          Well acted.

I liked it!

Sorkin wrote the screenplay (West Wing) and I LOVED the witty banter between all the characters -- especially Phillip Seymeor Hoffman and Hanks.

Julia is fine. I checked out the Bonus Material and they covered the real Joanne who Julia played, and I think she did a good job. The hair and make-up was accurate to Joanne and so was her southern, rich, charming persona.
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

We watched this last night - I liked it. It was a good history lesson for me, and entertaining. I, too, like Tom Hanks - he's a great actor.
            Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Working...
            X