Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Other Boleyn Girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Boleyn Girl

This movie is pretty intense. It's historical (though I suspect not historically accurate) and it really gets into the court system of English nobility. This movie, if I recall correctly, got slammed by the critics who didn't like it at all. DH and I both liked it. I thought it was interesting and gripping, and it moved along really well. It also wasn't predictable to me at least. This movie is about Henry VIII which I guessed by the end even though it didn't really specify in the start--- I guessed just by the number of wives he went through.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: The Other Boleyn Girl

I really enjoyed this movie as well. Actually, it prompted me to google Ann Boleyn because the story was so...compelling. I enjoyed the exploration of relationships and the quest for power. I really enjoyed it. DH's review would be more like :huh: .

Of course, this review comes from a guy who think its o.k. to watch old war movies on date night.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Did either of you read the book or see The Tudors on HBO? I wonder how it compares.

Comment

i want to see this! i have a girl crush on scarlett! HAWT! and natalie portman is gorgeous!
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
          Did either of you read the book or see The Tudors on HBO? I wonder how it compares.

No-- but is The Tudors good? I really enjoyed this movie- and I enjoy the era/setting, etc. Do you recommend the series?
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I liked the book the most. There are parts in the series that seem to be a bit too Hollywood'y and not very authentic. I'm also not crazy about their choice for the actor playing Henry. He's just so scrawny. And definitely not as hawt as Eric Bana.

Comment

Just finished the move - didn't really like it. I think that they did a good job trying to cram the (amazing) book into a movie, but I did not go through the same emotional ride as with the book. There's just not enough time to really portray all that went on. It seems to paint an entirely different picture than the book. Left me kind of disappointed...oh well...
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs
                Just finished the move - didn't really like it. I think that they did a good job trying to cram the (amazing) book into a movie, but I did not go through the same emotional ride as with the book. There's just not enough time to really portray all that went on. It seems to paint an entirely different picture than the book. Left me kind of disappointed...oh well...
                Totally agree. However, I actually looked at some of the scenes left out and thought the movie would have been far better if left in.

I loove P Gregory's books. I wish there was a movie made of the Queen's Fool.
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Yes it does Awesome read!
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I completely agree with this. I just read the book a couple weeks ago, so all of the details were fresh in my mind. The movie changed SO much!!! It re-ordered things, changed the interactions between Mary & the King, totally changed their mother's role. I imagine if I hadn't read the book, I would have enjoyed the movie and found it visually stunning - but I really didn't like it.

Originally posted by medpedspouse
                    Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs
                    Totally agree. However, I actually looked at some of the scenes left out and thought the movie would have been far better if left in.

I loove P Gregory's books. I wish there was a movie made of the Queen's Fool.

Comment

You may also want to add the Boylen Inheritance and the Constant Princess to your list. Both will give you almost the same characters but a different perspective. Oh - and the Virgin's Lover is good too.
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I put the book on a hold request at the library last week after reading this thread. Having already watched the movie and loving it, I have even higher expectations for the book! I can't wait until it comes in! aper:
                        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                        X