Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Coraline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coraline

I went to see the 3D version of Coraline last night. I loved it! It's about a little girl whose very busy parents move into a really old house that has been converted into apartments. She is bored and finds a little door into an alternate world, where she has an "other mother" and "other father", and everything is really happy and perfect. But then they want her to stay there, and things start getting weird. I'll leave it at that, since I don't want to give too much away.

If you go see it, try to find it in 3D. They did a great job with it, and it's so much cooler! It's rated PG, and I think that's about right. I'm not sure really little kids would get enough of it to keep interested.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Re: Coraline

Cool! This sounds like a story Roald Dahl would tell. I'm going to have to check this out!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I get to see it next weekend; so looking forward to it after all the good reviews. I read the book when it came out a while back, and enjoyed it (of course, I have yet to read something of Neil's that I don't enjoy, so that's not saying much). We're going to drive an hour or so to see it at the only theater in the area showing it in 3D.

Is there an "eager anticipation" emoticon? I guess this is close: :wee:
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky
        I get to see it next weekend; so looking forward to it after all the good reviews. I read the book when it came out a while back, and enjoyed it (of course, I have yet to read something of Neil's that I don't enjoy, so that's not saying much). We're going to drive an hour or so to see it at the only theater in the area showing it in 3D.

Is there an "eager anticipation" emoticon? I guess this is close: :wee:
        Where's that theatre? I'll make DrK take me when I'm back in OH. :wee:
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

It's the Cobblestone 20 in Elyria, OH (way the hell west of Cleveland). I found it by going to http://www.movietickets.com, punching up Coraline3D and our ZIP code, and extending the search to 40 miles.
          Only issue with waiting till you get back might be that I'm not sure how long they'll be showing it in 3D; I've heard rumors the the Jonas Brothers 3D concert thing might be showing in the same theaters and superseding Coraline - and that's somewhere toward the end of February (27th?). Maybe keep an eye on movietickets.com each week on wed/thurs (when they put times up for Fri-Thurs of the next week), and if it stops showing at the Cobblestone before you get back, go ahead and watch it down there on your own or with friends down there?
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky
            Maybe keep an eye on movietickets.com each week on wed/thurs (when they put times up for Fri-Thurs of the next week), and if it stops showing at the Cobblestone before you get back, go ahead and watch it down there on your own or with friends down there?
            But that's no fun! After all, I cannot snuggle up to my friends in the movie theatre.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I really hope to see it in 3D.
              I loved Mirror Mask .

Comment

Just got home from seeing it in Columbus. It was not 3D but thats okay. My DD can't see in 3D due to her amblyopia. It was a very interesting movie and kinda creepy. If you have little ones that are seeing it there is one funny but particiularly disturbing sight I can't get out of my head, LOL.

Comment

We saw this yesterday and liked it a lot. It did scare some younger children in the audience, though. We got an tiny "I'm scared" from down in front of us during a quiet tense part, and a frightened "Daddy I don't like this movie" later from up behind us.

Brought to mind both Spirited Away (though it was much shorter and more concise than that one) and Pans Labyrinth (though it was only a fraction as disturbing as that one). I recommend it, if you like that sort of thing.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Loved it! The 3D was awesome. Saw the latest showing, and it didn't have many kids, so I can't speak to how freaked out a kid would be. I'd read the book (back when it first came out), so nothing really *surprised* me, but there was much tense hand-squeezing going on; it was very well done. I loved the cat.

Also, if you stayed to the very end of the credits, the two-word code that's shown allows you to enter a drawing for a pair of limited-edition Nike Dunks that look hand-stitched. Go to the Coraline website - in Coraline's bedroom, there's a clickable spot on the toy shelf - enter the words there, and it enters you in a drawing.

If you saw the movie, but didn't stay to the very very end, and want to get in the drawing, PM me, and I'll let you know what it was.
                    Sandy

Comment

Working...
                    X