Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up!

So, I didn't know whether to put this in Movie Reviews, Marriage Matters, or Pregnancy . . .

DrK and I went out to dinner tonight, and I ate something other than pie, and I didn't get sick, and we went to a movie. Wow.

We saw the new Pixar movie "Up." It was really charming. I think it is a great family movie and very well done.

I don't think I'm giving too much away if I tell you about the first 10 minutes of the movie. They set up the story really well at the very beginning and everything relates back in the end.

The movie begins with a kid that is fascinated by a newsreal about an adventurer. On his way home he meets a scrappy little girl who is even more excited about the adventurer than he is. They become fast friends, grow up together, and marry. Then follows a quick montage of their lives together.

They fix up a house together and paint their names on the mailbox. -- At this point DrK turns to me and says how cute that is and how he'd like to paint our names on the mailbox. I begin to turn to mush. . .

Then the couple becomes pregnant and looses the baby -- I fall apart some more. . .

Then they proceed with a very happy life, grow very old together, and she passes away. -- I totally loose it.

I've always thought that one of the greatest injustices of the world is that people fall in love and come to depend upon each other over the course of a 50+ year marriage. Then one partner dies and a frail person is left to find his or her own way alone in the world when they are most vulnerable. Sure having friends and children provides some comfort but I just think loosing a life-long partner is just so unfair.

So, my usual sensitivity to that situation coupled with their loss of a pregnancy and DrK's suggestion that we paint our names on the mail box just like they did got me into full-on weeping for the beginning of the movie and occassionally at other points when the cartoon widower's devotion to his departed wife were emphasized.

I explained it all to DrK after the movie and started weeping again. Even got him a little emotional. Now I'm listening to him singing "I love you, I love you Moxie" to our yorkie and telling her how he needs to get in shape to "take care of mommy, and baby, and Moxie." I'm getting worked up again!

Sheesh, I'm pathetic. Still, it's an adorable movie and you should go see it.
    Last edited by MrsK; 05-30-2009, 08:08 PM.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

We saw it today too. I thought it was very well done. The kids, Dh and I really enjoyed it.
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Working...
    X