Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Babies [The Movie]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies [The Movie]

We saw this last night and it was absolutely adorable.

It follows 4 babies [in SF, Tokyo, Mongolia, and Namibia] through the first years of their lives. It was so endearing to watch babies all behave the same across cultures no matter what the parents were doing. I thought it was absolutely lovely and it really showed that babies are pretty resilient creatures who can survive in a lot of environments as long as they have their parents love.

My only compliant is that the baby is SF is probably not a "typical" baby in the US or Western Europe (as she was meant to represent according to an interview with the director). How many families are vegetarian, only wear organics, and take baby to a playgroup where they sing about 'Mother Earth'? (it was really funny when the baby tried to escape during that playgroup). Certaintly some families are like that and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't call it the norm.

Anyway, the cinematography was beautiful especially in Mongolia/Namibia where much of the shooting was outside with an expanse of open space. I would definitely recommend it and it's only 71 minutes long.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

I really want to see this! Thanks for the review!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Also, the theater near our house was allowing infants into the film (I guess it's usually discouraged - I've never considered that before) before 6 PM so ladymoreta if you wanted to take your little one, that would be ok.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Ooh, that's good to know! I might call and ask. There was a theater in Dallas that had a "cry baby matinee" where they had a certain showing that encouraged moms and children to come. I wish I could find a place around here that did that.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'd love to see this movie. The funny thing is that the SF baby sounds pretty typical for what I've encountered here so far.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
            I'd love to see this movie. The funny thing is that the SF baby sounds pretty typical for what I've encountered here so far.
            Haha - I was thinking that that seemed really typical of the Bay Area! (And very much so of SF!) But I agree, that is not necessarily the norm for the rest of the US!!
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I really wanted to see that today, but it's not showing here. I may email the movie theater here to find out if they plan on getting it.
              Last edited by moonlight; 08-30-2011, 12:59 PM.
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Wondering if this would be good to take my 2yo and 4yo to see? One of our playgroups is talking about going to a "Mommy and Baby" showing of it, but - since it doesn't involve animated talking animals - I'm not sure how my kids will do. I'd love to see the movie, but don't really want to take my kids if they're going to be disruptive...
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                  Heehee, the bay area is most certainly a different world.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

That movie looks amazing! Thanks for the review!

Comment

I've never heard about it but seems like a good movie to me so gonna watch it tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
                        Wondering if this would be good to take my 2yo and 4yo to see? One of our playgroups is talking about going to a "Mommy and Baby" showing of it, but - since it doesn't involve animated talking animals - I'm not sure how my kids will do. I'd love to see the movie, but don't really want to take my kids if they're going to be disruptive...
                        Jane, my niece watched it with me and my mom when she was about 4, and she was really interested in it. BUT, we watched it on DVD in our living room, so she had the freedom to roll around on the floor or whatever whenever she needed to!!

I love this movie. It's very sweet and touching. And as for the SF family, I could relate to it... that's the "norm" here where I live, too! I don't think any one American baby/family chosen for the movie could represent all of America's babies/families, and I'm sure the same is true for the other countries, too. I'm sure people from the other countries could watch the movie and say, "That's not what most families are like where I live"...

Comment

Since this thread has been revived. . . . we recently borrowed this from our public library. My 2.5yo watched it about 4 times in the space of a week. He loved seeing the babies and especially how they are so similar world over. He was especially thrilled when each baby learned to walk. Both of the baby boys featured have older brothers (the brothers from Mongolia look like they are about the same age spread as mine, the brothers from Africa appear to be even closer) and they interact very similarly to my boys. It was fun watching my 2yo scold the Mongolian boy for being mean to his baby brother when he taunts his brother the exact same way. Also, my 2yo totally freaked out when, for instance, a chicken walked around on the baby's bed. He kept saying "Where is his mommy?! Mommy, if a rooster was in our house, you'd get it right?!" So, I guess it's good to watch it with the little ones because you never know what may frighten them.

As for how representative the families are. . . I felt that the family in Toyko was more like ours.
                          Last edited by MrsK; 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM.
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                          X