Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The King's Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The King's Speech

Man, was this a good movie. Colin Firth is amazing as George VI, "Bertie." It hurts to watch him struggle with a stammer. The way he moves (or doesn't) almost makes you squirm. The movie opens w/ the close of the Empire Games in 1925 and he's been asked by his father George V to give the closing remarks on live radio. If you have a fear of public speaking, the way they shoot the scene makes you feel all of those fears again.

Helena Bonham Carter is so, so good as Elizabeth. She's funny but you can see how much she wants to help her husband. Guy Pierce is Edward VIII and the way he plays him, you're kind of glad he abdicated because I'm pretty sure that if he plays him true to life, he likely wouldn't have even realized that WWII was underway.

It sounds like a period piece, but it's not- I mean there are plenty of scenes that include the current Queen as a little girl so it's not THAT long ago.

Fantastic movie. Two thumbs up.

Jenn

There are very few movies that I bother seeing in the theaters, but I've already told DH that we are making it a point to get to this one. It has so many of my favorite actors and the story is fascinating. I can't wait to see it.

Comment

I agree. I thought it was fantastic. Strong acting, great story.

Comment

We saw it too--I liked it very much. I've always had a soft spot for Colin Firth..
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I thought it was great. We'd just finished watching the BBC mini series of Pride and Prejudice, and it was a bit strange going from seeing Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy to seeing him struggle to speak. I swear I'm not 9, but I thought the scene where he throws out random curse words was fantastic. Geoffrey Rush was also amazing.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

I can't wait to see this.

Comment

It. Was. Amazing.

I keep getting irritated when Black Swan & The Fighter are winning awards because everyone - EVERYONE - in this film was AMAZING. Jenn's use of the word "painful" was so accurate. In the very opening scene she described, I realized I was clenching my fists wanting him to be able to do it. It's a must see.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                It. Was. Amazing.

I keep getting irritated when Black Swan & The Fighter are winning awards because everyone - EVERYONE - in this film was AMAZING. Jenn's use of the word "painful" was so accurate. In the very opening scene she described, I realized I was clenching my fists wanting him to be able to do it. It's a must see.
                I want to see this movie. I can't speak for Black Swan, which I have no desire to see, BUT The Fighter was actually a really great movie and the acting, especially Christian Bale was amazing.

Comment

I Just watched this movie on last night and really very impress from its story, Excellent and brilliant movie. I think one of the best movie in this recent year. Nice story and amazing play role by all characters. Pretty cool and Interesting movie.

Comment

Working...
                  X