Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Movie Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Classics

I decided that my knowledge of the classic movies was pathetic so I started renting them on Netflix. My husband was less than thrilled but I reminded him that we could always trn them off.

We rented The Bridge over the River Kwai- and boy was that good. lec Guiness won an Oscar for his character. It's the story of British POWs in WWII and an American POW who is also att he camp. It's a very interesting study in human nature.

Next was the original Rear Window. Definitely worth a see as well. Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly- what more could you want in a movie. It's very Hitchcock in feel and I liked it a lot. Rick fell alseep but he was post-call!

Jenn

Try: "All About Eve", "Some Like it Hot" and "The Best Years of Our Lives"--three of my very favorites of all time.

Comment

This week's movie classics are The Maltese Falcon and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

I'll add your recommendations to the list at Netflix!

Jenn

PS- the Original Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor is GREAT!

Comment

I love The Maltese Falcon!
        I'm going to add it to our Netflix list so we can watch it again. It's been too long...

Comment

Citizen Kane really is worth seeing if you've never gotten around to it--and the DVD has a good commentary track by Roger Ebert wherein he explains scene-by-scene exactly why movie people seem to always rate this the best of all time.

I love the old family movies like Cheaper by the Dozen and Life with Father.

Bicycle Thief was surprisingly good.

I'm a total sucker for The Sound of Music.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

This isn't quite as old, but I really like It's a Mad, Mad World. (There might be more "mads" in there, I can't remembrer.)
            I love Meet Me In St. Louis.
            I agree Rear Window is a great movie.
            My husband loves Breakfast At Tiffanys (or maybe he just loves Adurey Hepburn!)
            The Pink Panther movies, though they aren't quite as old either.
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I just remembered, I like That Darn Cat and the original Father of the Bride.
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Ahh, don't forget Gone With the Wind , Animal Crackers, The Great Dictator, The Birds, the original King Kong, the original Flash Gordon, Fiddler on the Roof, To Kill a Mockingbird, My Fair Lady, Inspector General, Hans Christian Anderson, etc, etc.

Good grief! You have a ton of movie watching ahead of you!!! (till your eyes pop out for sure! 8O ).

Jennifer
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

We watched The Philadelphia Story on Sunday, and it was well worth our time.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

My favorites are

Roman Holiday
                    Dr. Strangelove
                    North by Northwest
                    Vertigo

Comment

Working...
                    X