Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

OK - so I have this thing for cross-dressers and transvestites apparently, because this is one of my all time favorite movies. I just re-rented it from Netflix. It's the story of three transvestites who have to journey across Australia so that one of the guys can see his son. (a very long and convoluted story) but the movie itself is sort of a cross between Muriel's Wedding (Australian with an ABBA soundtrack) La Cage aux Folles (men dressing as women) and any one of the guy buddy flicks (three guys on a road trip).

I would recommend this one to anyone, provided that you're not easily offended by alternative lifestyles.

Jenn

Jenn,
    I am not easily offended....but I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing! I usually like different or weird movies, but this one.....
    In fact, after this movie or a different Australian one, DH refuses to watch any more movies from that country.
    We watched Punch Drunk Love the other night and it was so-so -- DH asked me if it was Australian. (I was disappointed because I really like Emily (? last name ?) and thought it was an interesting well-acted role by Adam Sandler....just an under-developed plot).

Comment

Re: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Originally posted by jloreine
      OK - so I have this thing for cross-dressers and transvestites apparently, because this is one of my all time favorite movies. I just re-rented it from Netflix. It's the story of three transvestites who have to journey across Australia so that one of the guys can see his son. (a very long and convoluted story) but the movie itself is sort of a cross between Muriel's Wedding (Australian with an ABBA soundtrack) La Cage aux Folles (men dressing as women) and any one of the guy buddy flicks (three guys on a road trip).

I would recommend this one to anyone, provided that you're not easily offended by alternative lifestyles.

Jenn
      Based on what you're saying here, I would higly recommend Hedwig and the Angry Inch to you. If you like all these other movies, I think you'll probably love it. Muriel's Wedding is still on my Netflix list (soon!), but I really liked the others you mentioned, and I would place Hedwig at the top of the list for that genre (not that that's really a genre).

(Also, I thought Punch Drunk Love was one of the best movies of last year--but it's not a feel-good movie. Very weird and disturbing.)
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Re: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Originally posted by Julie
        Originally posted by jloreine
        Based on what you're saying here, I would higly recommend Hedwig and the Angry Inch to you. If you like all these other movies, I think you'll probably love it. Muriel's Wedding is still on my Netflix list (soon!), but I really liked the others you mentioned, and I would place Hedwig at the top of the list for that genre (not that that's really a genre).

(Also, I thought Punch Drunk Love was one of the best movies of last year--but it's not a feel-good movie. Very weird and disturbing.)
        I did like Muriel's Wedding -- very fun movie.
        I agree that Punch Drunk Love was weird and disturbing -- and very good at doing that. I just thought it needed....a little something more. I thought Adam Sandler did well with a dramatic role and was impressed by him. And I always like Emily....dang....Watson?

I've wanted to see Hedwig & Angry Inch but forgot about it. Maybe if we get a DVD player I'll put that on a Netflix list (that sounds so cool!).

Comment

I'm a die-hard "Priscilla" fan. When I lived in downtown Denver, this little art house theatre would play it every week in a midnight movie format a la "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and I went sooo many times. The audience was as much fun to watch as the movie. (Lots of drag queens in the neighborhood).

I'd love to geek out with a film festival of the three leads:

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

"LA Confidential" and "Memento" for Guy Pearce

"The Matrix" and "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" for Hugo Weaving

and "Modesty Blaise" and "The Limey" for Terrence Stamp.

Lizzie (longing for the days when I had time for 15 hour film festivals!)

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
            DH refuses to watch any more movies from that country.
            awwwww.

Your missing out then!

Priscilla is one of my favourite films. Guy Pearce plays a woman exceptionally well in 'Dating the Enemy' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rainy_city_girl
              Originally posted by nmh
              DH refuses to watch any more movies from that country.
              awwwww.

Your missing out then!
              I know, I know....

I think I need to give Priscilla another chance. Next time DH is out of town.

Comment

Oh,yes, Huge Hedwig fan, as well. I saw the movie and then saw it live, which was amazing. A local guy in san antonio saw the casting call for Hedwig nd kind of took over the entire part and then the entire play. It was sold out for an entire weekend at a local theater in SA- unheard of-

My husband took the Netflix cd to call on Monday and watched it- I'm sure the Army would have loved that, had they known!

Jenn

Comment

Jenn....You do Netflix too? Isn't it awesome??? When Thomas signed up for it, I was really skeptical.....but it is great!

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                  X