Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hunger Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunger Games

Has anyone been to see this yet?

DH and I went on Tuesday night. (Side note: huge theater was practically empty, had our choice of seats. But who the hell lets their teenagers go out with a group of friends on a school night?!)

Anyway, I have not read the books yet, but DH has - this made for interesting discussions between us, as his opinions of the movie were framed by what he read and mine were solely based on the movie. He claims that it is really close to the book. I thought parts of it were violent and there were maybe a few suspenseful points. Not too much romance, thankfully. I love the strong female character, Katniss. She rocks!

For me, it drew parallels to "reality TV", classism, racism, etc. I really don't feel like their world is that far off from our current one. Definitely a thought provoking and intriguing movie for me, and I'm more excited to start reading the books whenever I have a free moment.
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Your husband reads novels? Where does he find the time? I have never seen my husband read anything other than scientific texts, The Weekly Standard, and The Economist...

**depressed sigh**

Sorry. So not the response you were looking for. Completely off-point.

Comment

I loved it! DH and I have both read the trilogy. My thought walking out of the theater was "I would have been so lost if I hadn't read the book!" But after talking to DH, it seems like they did a great job of getting the main plot points in, and they hinted at some of the finer points; for example, the bread Peeta intentionally burned so he could give it to Katniss.

I'd definitely recommend reading the books! You'll love them!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I thought it was really well-done...as much as a two hour movie can. It really only left out one thing i was upset about...which was Rue's district sending her bread in the games. I thought that was such a perfect demonstration of the beginning of the districts' unity. I did enjoy seeing some from the gamemaker's and Haymitch's point of view during the games...but I didn't like how much of Haymitch's bark they took away...

Overall, I really liked it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
          I thought it was really well-done...as much as a two hour movie can. It really only left out one thing i was upset about...which was Rue's district sending her bread in the games. I thought that was such a perfect demonstration of the beginning of the districts' unity. I did enjoy seeing some from the gamemaker's and Haymitch's point of view during the games...but I didn't like how much of Haymitch's bark they took away...

Overall, I really liked it though.
          This.

I also really enjoyed seeing the capital and all the ridiculous fashions. I thought they did an excellent job with casting, everyone except Cina is exactly as I had pictured. I pictured Cina to be a little more feminine, think Christian Siriano from Project Runway.

DH and I had read the triology together, and we were both puzzled about the mockingjay pin being given to Katniss by Prim. Wasn't it given to her by the Mayor's daughter? I like the idea of it being given to her by sister to add sentimental meaning to it, but I wonder if they plan on introducing the Mayor's daughter at a later point.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We loved the books. My husband actually found time to read them last year when he went to a conference. I think he ripped through them in a few days, they are real page turners!
            As for the movie, when we went the theater was completely packed and we ended up having to sit in the front. Within the first 5 minutes I had the worst migraine ever and couldn't pay attention to the movie at all. The cinematography is really bouncy and weird. I guess it's supposed to feel a little bit like reality tv. Anyway, my husband thought it was AMAZING and from what I saw I thought it was really good too!
            I can't wait to see it at home on my little TV!
            -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Working...
            X