Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lost in Translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Translation

This movie was absolutely FANTASTIC, I think it's my favorite movie that I've seen all year. It was written, directed, and produced by Sofia Coppola and is about a 'has-been' movie star (Bill Murray) and a lonely housewife (Scarlett Johanssen -sp?) who happen to meet and develop a friendship while visiting Tokyo. The cinematography was amazing (the shots of Tokyo were absolutely beautiful), and there were some moments of pure comedy. The unlikely friendship between the two main characters (he's quite a bit older than she is) is so sweet and touching, very "Harold-and-Maude-esque" as DH described it. I highly recommend this movie, it is funny and thought-provoking and wonderful overall (DH even liked it, so it's not just a 'chick-flick')!!
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Re: Lost in Translation

Originally posted by migirl
    This movie was absolutely FANTASTIC, I think it's my favorite movie that I've seen all year.
    I totally agree. I saw this a few weeks ago and it's really stuck with me. I keep meaning to post about it, but I haven't because it's really hard to describe exactly why it's so great, but it really is. It's been getting a lot of praise and I think it's well deserved.

My boyfriend also loved it. As he described it, it "rings true."
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We saw this a few days ago and both thought it was SO GOOD. It has come up in coversation at least a few times since then...the cinematrography, the characters, something gets us thinking.
      I thought Bill Murray was excellent and his performance was very subtle, I guess. It is hard to describe, Julie!
      I was also impressed by how the scenery and feeling of Tokyo matched the mood of the movie....sort of hazy and gray. I have only flown through Tokyo and didn't get much sense of the weather -- anyone know if it is like that all the time?
      As we were leaving the theater, I overhead the couple in front of us talking about the movie. The wife said, well I definitely don't want to visit Tokyo after that. The husband said, really? I want to go to Japan and Toko after seeing it. Funny, the different reaction to the scenery.

Comment

This movie so accurately captures that "where in the h**l am I" feeling that you get when travelling, especially with international travel. There is a scene where Bill Murray is wide awake (when he's supposed to be sleeping) and is flipping through the Japanese TV channels and nothing is in English- and my husband turned to me and said, "I wonder what's on TV in Russia right now." It was the same experience we had. (we ended up watching the Ural Great vs. the Ionics (greece) play European basketball because we understood basketball, if not the announcers. and oh yeah, it was 3:00am!)

I loved the movie- and you know that neither character will ever forget the other.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
        X