Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Walk the Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk the Line

I would never have chosen to go see this movie, but the group I was going out with had selected it. It was really, really good. I know NOTHING about Johnny Cash or June Carter Cash, so I went into it w/o an opinion (except thinking I'd be bored out of my mind). It was a good story, good music, and very well acted.

I was not at all sorry to have paid $9.75 to see it.

Dh and I saw this movie over Thanksgiving weekend. LOVED IT. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I too didn't know much about Johny Cash before this movie, and I really don't even know how true it is to his life. Nonetheless, it was a great movie and a great love story.

The music was wonderful, even if you don't like country music much. In fact, I've already told Dh to add the Walk the Line soundtrack cd to my Christmas list.
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I really like Johnny Cash. Even before he did NIN's "Hurt".

Apparently his kids by his first wife were upset by how she was portrayed in the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Arborea

Apparently his kids by his first wife were upset by how she was
        portrayed in the film.
        I heard that too and I can see why. She really wasn't portrayed that well. I'll leave it at that so as not to spoil the movie.
        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I so want to see this! Hopefully on the big screen. We've been listening to a few Johnny Cash CDs at work and I'm really enjoying it.

Comment

Yep, it was a great film. I get what they are saying about the first wife, but I felt nothing but sympathy for her. The group we were with mostly felt she was an unsupportive witch. Hmmm, perhaps you have to have some sort of insight into what it is like to be the wife of somebody who is physically absent a lot of the time to understand...
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Wow. What a good movie! We *finally* saw it tonight....I thought I was going to miss seeing it on the big screen. It wasn't exactly a feel-good picture because there is a *lot* of pain portrayed in the movie, but Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon deserve the accolades they are getting for their work in this film.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Excellent film. DW and I were thoroughly entertained and we didn't know anything about Johnny Casy or June Carter either.
                Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Loved it.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Just watched this and I loved it. Definitely worth staying up later.

I also felt sympathetic for the first wife. I remember hearing that her family was upset about how she was portrayed but thought "who would blame her" while watching it.

This movie reminded me a bit of Ray. We do need to add a section for Rock Star Widows!

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                      I also felt sympathetic for the first wife. I remember hearing that her family was upset about how she was portrayed but thought "who would blame her" while watching it.
                      Ditto. I imagine being married to an addict who's clearly in love with someone else kind of ties your hands when it comes to building a good marriage. I thought she was depicted as having made a more than decent effort.
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by "Julie
                        Ditto. I imagine being married to an addict who's clearly in love with someone else kind of ties your hands when it comes to building a good marriage.
                        I agree. Do people think she should have been supportive of him just because he was Johnny Cash? I think that would be sort of silly but even if that is the case, she didn't know that when they started out and things seemed rough from the beginning.

Comment

We just saw this one through Netflix. (and my it was nice to see a movie after not having TV for three weeks!)

We both thought it was great. My husband is not a huge country fan but did have a Johnny Cash cd so it was cool to see him put it all together. I loved it and thought it was completely deserving of the awards and nominations.

I thought the portrayal of the first wife was probably dead on. I'd be highly pissed if my husband was never home leaving me to raise the kids while he pursued his dream. Oh. Wait. Nevermind.

Great, great flick.

Jenn

Comment

I liked this movie too! I thought it was wonderful that Pheonix and Witherspoon sang it all themselves - they sounded fantastic!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X