Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Break-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Break-Up

We recently saw this movie. The reviews were pretty brutal and I was therefore somewhat hesitant to dish out the money to see it, but we liked the movie nonetheless. Could have used some more editing, because it was loooong--2 hours. The shots of Chicago are gorgeous. Vince Vaughan is convincing and the plot isn't linear nor cheesy.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Agree on most points. Better than the reviews led me to believe. Great condo! Great shots of Chicago.

The ending was an issue for me .... other than that, while it wasn't my favorite, I don't regret paying to see it.

Comment

I saw this last week. I didn't read any of the reviews so I didn't know much about it other than what I saw on trailers.

Overall, I had high expectations for the movie and I thought it was a bit boring. Very long (and it seemed like it), and I didn't think there was a good enough explanation as to why the two of them were a couple in the first place, given their dissimilarities that came to light later on. I liked the shots of Chicago and the antics were amusing but I felt there could have been more of them.

Comment

Geeeeeeesh...Did anyone else find this so depressing? What is up with the movies lately? I expected this to be funny with Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Anniston...instead it was another tearjerker. The fights were like real-world, brutal fights and the ending? Well...let's just say it was another boo-hoo-athon afterwards. Who wants to plunck down $7.50/person to see real-life? I want to escape, thank-you very much.

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We thought this was ok. Not great, not terrible ... just ok. We were actually laughing during the fight in the beginning when they break up b/c we've actually had that fight, practically word-for-word. It wasn't a bad rental, I would've been annoyed if we'd seen in the theater though.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
            Geeeeeeesh...Did anyone else find this so depressing? What is up with the movies lately? I expected this to be funny with Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Anniston...instead it was another tearjerker. The fights were like real-world, brutal fights and the ending? Well...let's just say it was another boo-hoo-athon afterwards. Who wants to plunck down $7.50/person to see real-life? I want to escape, thank-you very much.

kris
            Only $7.50, eh? We're pushing $9 here.

That said, I'm glad we only rented this one. We laughed at first. We've had the lemon argument why-don't-you-WANT-to-do-the-dishes tiffs. But then it just wasn't funny anymore. I wanted to cry when he had his little strip poker party. And then the end? Ugh. I was so put off by the end of the movie I was afraid to talk to SO for fear that we would get in a fight and break up too. Geesh.

Also agree with Veggie that there wasn't enough lead-in to set the stage and I think with a proper feel-good ending, it would have been 20x better.

Comment

kris
              I completely agree. This movie was touted as a romantic comedy and it didn't even come close. It was totally depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kozmo

kris
                I completely agree. This movie was touted as a romantic comedy and it didn't even come close. It was totally depressing.
                Yes, I agree but it got me thinking. I think the happy ending was that they didn't end up together and they are better people for it. He grew up and started caring about his body (his health) and job. She traveled places he would never want to go. It was sad yes, but so many people get married because it "is the next obvious step." They didn't.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                X