Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Devil Wears Prada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally saw this over the weekend. Very different from the book. Some parts were better, some worse.

I was also thinking, "He's pissed because she was working on his birthday? Well then what does it say about all the medical spouses?" And Julie is right, 98% of recent grads in NY end up working like that during the first few years. What's so special about her? I also find it surprising that her friends have so much more free time. I don't think the movie/book is for NY'ers.

Comment

Just saw this last night for the first time. I loved it!!!! Such a cute and fresh movie. I thought Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway were excellent. I loved the story line and thought the movie was really well done. Loved the fashion and glimpse into the fashion world. I thought the character of Meryl Streep was really well done because it showed her as a multi-layered person--tough outside, but was vulnerable at times.

Excellent movie! 5 stars!

Comment

I just finished the book - haven't seen the movie.

It's a fantastic study on an older woman so driven to be the "best" (most elegant, most powerful, most everything) that she would eat her own children. She's a Lady Macbeth:

"Come, you spirits 45
        That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
        And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
        Of direst cruelty! make thick my blood;
        Stop up the access and passage to remorse,
        That no compunctious visitings of nature 50
        Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
        The effect and it! Come to my woman's breasts,
        And take my milk for gall, you murdering ministers,
        Wherever in your sightless substances
        You wait on nature's mischief! Come, thick night, 55
        And pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell,
        That my keen knife see not the wound it makes,
        Nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark,
        To cry 'Hold, hold!' "

A good example of a woman so consumed by her lust for power in one form or another that she has destroyed the classically feminine parts of herself (ie compassion, the ability to work jointly with others, etc.).

We as a society inherently are repulsed by such unnatural behavior from a woman.

And, someone mentioned The Nanny Diaries. According to my best friend - a former nanny for two different "rich and famous" families - it's spot-on. There really are woman like that out there - and as I stated previously we are fascinated by them because they are repulsive.
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I read the book, and Much rathered the book than the movie.

Comment

Movie- eh- maybe 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Meryl made the movie. and Stanley Tucci. and the clothes. and NYC.

but wholly predictable.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
            X