Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Music and the dawkter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music and the dawkter

so- are there any favorites of the good dawkter in your house? Do they deviate from your tastes?

For us- we were both raised by hippie parents- except his really did get stoned back in the day...we both have a huge affinity for the folky stuff of the late 60s/70s- Simon and Garfunkel, JT, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens (and all of the Yusef Islam stuff to date)

BUT we were both children of the 80's (h.s. classes of '84 and '85 respectively) and we both spent significant portions of our formative years playing in our respective cities punk scenes- LA and DC (and don't laugh because where exactly do you think Henry Rollins, the most gorgeous and fabulous man ever is from?) So that add a whole layer of wierdness to our collections- every thing from his KFMDM to all of my bizarre bootlegs still on tape.

and in my college years and his Army years- it was the late 1980s- drum machines anyone?

We deviate because he's totally into electronica and techo- Paul Oakenfold, Tricky, Moby, a bunch of people I can't listen to because they annoy me so...

I'm totally into Americana guitar rock- Springsteen, Southside Johnny, Nils Lofgren (another DC spawn), etc.

But- the one singer who reminds me of my husband and his (really!) gentle ways is Cat Stevens/Yusef Islam.

Jenn

ETA: but "our song" (not that we had any kind of dancing thing at our wedding) was/is You're my Best Friend by Queen.

Dh loves 80's hair bands. His favortie of all time is Def Leppard. I loved New Kids on the Block.

We both like eveything except country though, but he does prefer stuff that is a little louder/harder than I like it. I am not a fan of most rap. I like listening to love ballads. I like oldies.

I love Maroon 5, Sting, Norah Jones, Matchbox 20, et. al. He loves Def Leppard, Metallica, Matchbox 20, and Maroon 5.

So, we overlap, but there are differences.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Ours also have converged since we have been together. I grew up a country girl but I bet I haven't listed to a country station in years. Not because I don't like it but I think because I listed to it more because of where I lived and what was available.

DH LOVES U2 and Dave Matthews but he also loves Jazz and Johnny Cash so his tastes are pretty much all over the place except for country (he says Johnny Cash is old country - i.e. different ).

I like the modern stuff - stuff that is probably meant for the teens today but I like stuff with a beat, I'm pretty easy to please.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My DH loves to listen to and play bluegrass, mountain, cajun, and Irish music to name a few. (His real dream is to retire from doctorhood and open a music shop and jam all day!) We both enjoy alot of the same music with me leaning a little more to the folk side than him. Lately I have been listening to Dan Zanes alot with my DD- she loves him!

Comment

Right now DH is completely into the White Stripes (which, I must confess I really like as well).

Other dh fav's:

-They Might Be Giants
          -The Cure (the old stuff)
          -Carmina Burana (sp?) - loves that entire piece and plays it turned ALLLL the way up!
          -Kraftwerk
          -Coldplay (he introduced me to them )
          -Johnny Cash - I think I now know every single song the man ever sung after a recent road trip we took - dh cannot get enough of him
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Re: Music and the dawkter

We have some similarities, and some DRASTIC differences.

Country music makes my ears bleed after about 2.3 seconds, DH owned at least 30 country CD's when we married. (None of which does he currently listen to. I blame that phase of musical psychosis on his ex who was a very cutesy country music hillbilly.)

I love old jazz, some odd punk stuff, and funky indie bands. Being raised in the NW, I had exposure to a pretty eclectic grouping of sounds. Most of which bore DH to tears. But we both like some good ol' butt rock, too. Metallica, Pearl Jam, Stabbing Westward, Everclear, Nirvana...etc. For some reason, DH is really into stuff like Enya when he's studying, though.

I also really like some music that's definitely less mainstream. Flogging Molly, Cake, Eve 6, Garbage, The Femmes, The Ramones, Reverend Horton Heat, Dropkick Murphys, and a bunch of Russian classical composers.

Comment

The big favorite currently for the dawkter:

The White Stripes

I must confess that I like them, too!
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I missed this thread the first time around...

we listen to mostly the same stuff....metal/grunge (Metallica, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Tool...and all of the new combos of those groups)...we like some of the 80s hair bands (me more than him)....i will also listen to pop and country while he gravitates towards the punkier pop-rock/ska (Panic at the Disco, Blue Meanies, etc) and classical. He owned more classical CDs than I owned CDs when we were married.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

i could have written heidi's post, word for word.

dh is sooo hoping van halen comes here..and wants me to go. no thanks. def leopard, maybe. ozzy..NOFRIGGENWAY.
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I also like Heidi's music. That's pretty much my style.

But DH... Well, when I met him he "tested" me by blaring his mexican music from his car stereo, windows down, through the parking lot on our way out to lunch. It was *a little bit* too much for me. I was used to mexican music, but... Anyway, the true Mac liked rap and R&B, while I liked U2, Sting, Nirvana, STP, and other random alternative stuff, along with Cranberries, Sarah Maclaghlin, Alannis Morissete... Etc. Etc. My mexican music that I owned was like, alternative mexican. I even had japanese Reggae music (pretty cool) and some African reggae? (Youssou N'dour). So I'm pretty eclectic, but what I didn't like was the polka-like mexican music DH liked, and the R&B and rap. I never really got into that (except for the Fugees- I like them). Oh yeah, NO COUNTRY. no way. Eventually DH started to like the "softer" of my CDs (like cranberries).

Now he listens to DD's music (Beyonce!!, etc.!) and he seems to like it. I seem to like... silence! Although I do get urges to listen to Nirvana at times...

The one thing I can not listen to, and I'm sorry to all of you who think it's just wonderful, is *inspirational Christian soft rock.* If I had a emoticon... I just don't like it, and DH will put it on the radio... It just is way too much inspiration for me. I don't know why I can't stand it- it's pretty much like the muzak they play at church but there I don't really mind. :huh:
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                    X