Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help an old girl out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help an old girl out

OMG! I just got home from the gym and had a really great workout listening to my Black Eyed Peas station, but ...

(I feel like a senior citizen saying this)

RAP AND HIP-HOP MUSIC IS SOOOOO FOUL. My station played Kanye West, Usher, Nelly, BEP's, and Eminem ... some others ... and I liked the beat and the music part, I just wish I couldn't understand the words. I'm no prude I wouldn't blink at an F-bomb here and a B*ch there. It's the F'n N* B* and graphic sexual stuff that is making my skin crawl.

I mean, I was all excited when "Golddigger" came on b/c I'd heard it on Glee ... ummmmm ... they left out a few words on TV.

Any suggestions for an alternative for this 36 year old suburban SAHM?

no suggestions....waiting to see what others have to say. I'm in the same boat. Sometimes I download the clean version if there is one available...
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3 View Post
      no suggestions....waiting to see what others have to say. I'm in the same boat. Sometimes I download the clean version if there is one available...
      But even the clean version of these is so awful I can't stand them.

Hence, my work out music is Def Leopard.
      Kris

Comment

Beastie Boys? *shrug* I'm not much help. I reach back in time to Public Enemy, Sugar Hill gang and Salt and Pepa. I also like Will Smith. I listen to Eminem - but I have to pick and choose the songs carefully. I try to go fro his more serious stuff over the "hot girl" raps. Northern State is great "girl" rap.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I don't think it is age - it is taste (no offense intended if you love violent, crude rap). I completely agree with you, and have even when I was a teenager - never found the excessively violent, sexual, and crude music enticing or enjoyable. Maybe I am a prude.

If I want to listen and workout to hip-hop/rap, I go old-school - like Beastie Boys - most of their lyrics are ridiculous, but fun and upbeat.

ETA: I do not abhor all rap, there are many besides Beastie Boys that I enjoy - I specifically do not like the really violent, sexual rap. Oh and can I add - I really, really, really don't like the people that blast their musical tastes while at a standstill in traffic!! (My tea does not need to be splashing around thanks to your bass!) End Rant.
          Last edited by scrub-jay; 10-19-2009, 03:04 PM.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Hmm...you might look into some more "industrial" music rather than rap/hip-hop? It's not to everyone's taste, but it's usually got a great beat, and the lyrics aren't usually as graphic..and there's a lot of foreign-language stuff out there, too; try some KMFDM - unless you know German you won't know or care what they're saying.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I do think it's funny that they turn a lot of these songs into Kidzbop...maybe (and I do mean maybe) those are clean enough No real suggestions here.
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                Hmm...you might look into some more "industrial" music rather than rap/hip-hop? It's not to everyone's taste, but it's usually got a great beat, and the lyrics aren't usually as graphic..and there's a lot of foreign-language stuff out there, too; try some KMFDM - unless you know German you won't know or care what they're saying.
                Ahhh yes, KMFDM -- I remember them from my "misunderstood years". I attended many a Ministry, Skinny Puppy, and Nine Inch Nails type shows. I do still enjoy NIN (something about his voice). I could try that.

Comment

and you know Rick has all the KMFDM you could EVER want if you need me to burn some cds for you!

J.

Comment

I cant suggest anything, but I can give you the peace of mind that it is not because you are old--I cant stand the lyrics either.

But then again, I do read Southern Living Magazine religiously...
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DH listens to the instrumental version of rap songs when he studies.

Comment

I like Talib Kweli, some songs are: Listen, I try, Around my way, Get by, I am, Ms Hill...
                        Wife to Anesthesia PGY4

Comment

Working...
                        X