Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Oprah 1/25/07 30 something women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm officially sick of Oprah. Mind you, I'm not home during the day so I only watch her when I know a topic is coming so that I can tape it. I was talking to a friend who was as disgusted as I about the infertility show last week and it seems Oprah has done another show in the last few days about large families some were adopted others were "natural". One of the "natural" familes was a set of identical quads, she commented more times then necessary that these children were "natural" no fertility drugs necessary.

So now I guess I get it, Oprah doesn't approve of fertility drugs or IVF hence the reason she dismissed the infertile woman last week.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
      One of the "natural" familes was a set of identical quads, she commented more times then necessary that these children were "natural" no fertility drugs necessary.

So now I guess I get it, Oprah doesn't approve of fertility drugs or IVF hence the reason she dismissed the infertile woman last week.
      I didn't see the show, so I don't know the TONE Oprah used when making the comment. I must say when I see multiples, I typically think that fertility treatments must have been used, because it is more common with fertility drugs. So maybe the comment wasn't a condemnation of fertility drugs, but rather to inform the audience that it was more of a statistically rare feat to have mulitples naturally.

Although, again, she could have said it with a a snippy, little tone- but I don't know.

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder how Luanne and I would be different than the others. I bet we would skew differently but I don't know that it's age-related. Luanne and I probably would skew most results...

Jenn

(do you drink? how do you feel about divorce? birth control? alcohol? Hillary Clinton?
        I haven't seen this particular episode but I do admire Oprah.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper
          One of the "natural" familes was a set of identical quads, she commented more times then necessary that these children were "natural" no fertility drugs necessary.

I didn't see the show, so I don't know the TONE Oprah used when making the comment. I must say when I see multiples, I typically think that fertility treatments must have been used, because it is more common with fertility drugs. So maybe the comment wasn't a condemnation of fertility drugs, but rather to inform the audience that it was more of a statistically rare feat to have mulitples naturally.

Although, again, she could have said it with a a snippy, little tone- but I don't know.
          So I've seen it on YouTube now and her tone was her regular tone, Oprah rarely gets snippy IMO. However she beat it to death and was obviously trying to make a point. I'll admit I'm overly sensitive to these types of discussions these days but it was still a little odd.

I know that Oprah has done a lot of great things and she has the right to choose adoption over fertility drugs but I get so tired of people in a position such as hers trying to push those opinions on others.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Cheri, I think you make a good point that both options are good ones and people experiencing infertility will make different choices in how they address it. You should write her and expand her view.

Comment

So I've seen it on YouTube now and her tone was her regular tone, Oprah rarely gets snippy IMO. However she beat it to death and was obviously trying to make a point. I'll admit I'm overly sensitive to these types of discussions these days but it was still a little odd.
              I didn't see the episode. My first thought when you pointed it out was that she kept stressing it b/c conceiving quadruplets w/o the aid of fertility drugs is SO uncommon, she may of felt the need to keep repeating it. OR, she may be being judgemental and trying to push the idea of adoption - b/c she is TOTALLY not above being judgemental (really annoys me most of the time).

I agree w/Nellie. Write her a letter. At least they should know how she was perceived.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                All these topics deserve 1 hour segments to truly do them justice.
                ITA. It was definitely botchy.

Comment

Let's talk about being a Muslim women in the US, lets talk about infertility issues, lets talk about large families and homeschooling. All these topics deserve 1 hour segments to truly do them justice.
                  I agree...I was over all fairly pleased w/ the Muslim segment, I did however have a couple issues w/ the way she asked certain things, and I feel if there was more time, it probably would have been better!

Comment

I didn't see the infertility show talked about but I did just watch the 30-somethings in America. I wanted to cry for the woman with infertility issues- I was proud of her standing up and saying "I don't want to hear take a vacation, relax, because maybe a miracle will happen."

On a side note- I have a friend who went through 12 miscarriages in 4 years, and her last pregnancy she found out she was pregnant, was going to abort because she didn't want to suffer any more- during her pregnancies she m/c anywhere from 8 weeks up to 17 weeks. Her husband changed her mind, and she gave birth to a baby boy and decided that was it and had her tubes tied. After seeing what she went through I don't offer any of my friends who are struggling with infertility any advice whatsoever. And whenever I want to complain about my current pregnancy, I just count my blessings there are worse things to deal with than a surprise pregnancy.

I agree with the other posters that I would have rather liked to have seen a full hour devoted to each of the different subjects addressed.
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
                    X