Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sopranos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sopranos

Reuters

"Sopranos" rub-out theory gains credence

By Steve Gorman Today at 12:04 pm

Fans of "The Sopranos" are seizing on clues suggesting that the controversial blackout which abruptly ended the TV mob drama meant that Tony Soprano was rubbed out, and HBO said on Thursday they may be on to something.

One clue in particular, a flashback in the penultimate episode to a conversation between Tony and his brother-in-law about death, gained credence as an HBO spokesman called it a "legitimate" hint and confirmed that series creator David Chase had a definite ending in mind.

"While he won't say to me 100 percent what it all means, he says some people who've guessed have come closer than others," HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer told Reuters after speaking to Chase

"There are definitely things there that he intended for people to pick up on," Schaffer said.

Chase suggested as much in an interview on Tuesday with The Star-Ledger newspaper of New Jersey when he said of his end to the HBO series, "Anyone who wants to watch it, it's all there."

In the final moments of Sunday's concluding episode, Tony, the conflicted mob boss who has just survived a round of gangland warfare, sits in a diner with his family munching on onion rings as the 1980s song by rock band Journey, "Don't Stop Believing," blares from a juke box.

Tension builds as a suspicious man wearing a "Members Only" jacket eyes Tony from a nearby counter before slipping into a restroom. Then, as Tony looks toward the restaurant's entrance, the screen abruptly goes blank in mid-scene -- with no picture or sound for 10 seconds -- until the credits roll silently.

Stunned viewers, many initially believing something had gone wrong with their cable TV reception, were left wondering whether Tony ended up "whacked" or whether his sordid life went on as usual.

The jarring, fill-in-the-blank finale, concluding a show widely hailed as America's greatest television drama, sparked a furious debate about whether Chase had conceived of an actual ending and whether he left the audience any clues.

The biggest hint, according to a consensus taking shape on the Web, is a scene from an earlier episode in which Tony and his brother-in-law, Bobby Bacala, muse about what it feels like to die.

"You probably don't even hear it when it happens," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.

"I think that is one of the most legitimate things to look at," Schaffer said when asked about theories that the flashback was meant to foreshadow Tony's death

I guess it makes sense...The show is about him & his life...the show abruptly ceased ...as does a human when suddenly killed.

Re: Sopranos

OK so, 6 months later, DH and I finally got around to watching this controversial series finale last night. We stayed up until 3 AM debating and theorizing the end. My knee jerk reaction was anger and frustration, but now I have come to appreciate it.

I read this theory in a blog:
    When Tony walks into the diner and stands in the doorway for a moment, we hear the door closing behind him. He immediately sees himself sitting in the booth. I think the sound of the closing door is actually the sound of the gunshot that kills him. The rest of the show takes place in his imagination as he’s dying. It’s a David Lynch, “Mulholland Drive” style effect.
    The images of his family as they join him in the diner are idealized. He’s “remembering the good times”, as AJ says. The other figures in the episode are dream-like (not exact, but suggestive) versions of people from his past: The man who precedes AJ into the diner (and who later enters the bathroom) looks a lot like Tony’s father, as seen in his younger days in earlier episodes. The two African-American guys are suggestive of Tony’s would-be assassins. The two young people in the booth near them are younger versions of Tony and Carmela. The way they eat the onion rings are like eating the eucharist. The scene with Meadow trying to park shows Tony’s anxiety about her being “alright” after she’s gone. She finally gets it right, and Tony can die. When he does, the screen goes dark and “the rest is silence”
    This makes a ton of sense to me. I went back and replayed the last scene several times and there is a TON of symbolism that I didn't originally catch. I also noticed that the people walking into the diner all resemble important people in Tony's life. The first one was a lady who resembled Janice. I also thought it was interesting how the guy who resembles his dad in his younger days walks so close to AJ and then they part ways as if to suggest they go seperate paths or to symbolize the generation gap. :huh:

Anyway, I know this is old news, but I wanted to post my thoughts. Anyone else agree??? :huh:
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

No, we just got the final season from Netflix. Can I comment in another month or so?

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Glad we're not the only ones who are notoriously a day late and a dollar short with the rest of the world!!!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!!
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
        X