Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Daytime Soaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytime Soaps

Does anyone watch Daytime Soaps? When I was a little girl my grandmother always watched Days of Our Lives, then my older sisters watched it, and I can remember watching it with them while they were babysitting us when I was 9 or 10 years old. I still watch it to this day. I may only watch it once or twice a month, but if I am home at 1:00 I turn it on. It doesn't matter if I haven't seen it in 3 months, I have always "kept up" with it. Anyone else willing to admit to this weakness?
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

My grandmother used to watch "her stories" every afternoon. Start the line up with "All My Children" and watch everything thereafter until the storylines all blended together. My mom started watching "All My Children" at the very beginning and watched it all through our childhood. She used to record and watch in the evening so I remember watching with her. I stopped watching in college but I'm amused when I read the cover of Soap Opera Digest at the grocery - the AMC storylines now revolve around the children that were born when I watched in the 80s.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I watched General Hospital in high school. That was back when the Cassidines were trying to freeze the earth - and Luke and Laura were battling forbidden love. Everyone in my high school watched it after school. I wonder if they were trying to capture a new demographic then. Since then, no.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My mother also watched All My Children and One Life to Live. If I am home at 1pm I go on spurts where I will watch it (when I find the storyline interesting) and other spurts where I will watch it once a week or month just to keep up with the story. Sometimes the story line goes SO slowly thats all you need
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I was just thinking about the soaps Luanne! I don't watch anymore but used to always watch All My Children and Days. I remember kids in college arranging their schedule to watch Days. Heehee, I wonder if anyone does that anymore?
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I was an All My Children girl, too. My sister and I would watch it with my Granny during summer vacations and any days we were out of school. I still think of Sarah Michelle Gellar as Erica's daughter...
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

i remember watching young and the restless with my mom at 12.30 after the local news.

i haven't watched it in many many years, but i see the soap mags in the checkout line, and will ask my nana if she's watched...i can catch up, see who's not dead (again) who's a slut (again) and who came back to the show (again).
              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I remember Passions started when I was in middle school or high school, and I liked the idea of watching a soap from its beginning.

...But I think Passions is even weirder than most soaps. Dying puppet midgets? Secret underworlds? wtf?

Plus the characters are really petty, and I hated how they kept changing actors. Also, I'm wayyy too impatient. Each hour episode covered like, 15 minutes of life.

I think I probably chose the worst soap ever to make my own and thus lost any desire to watch any others...

That said, for those who don't have DVR, there's always the Soap Network (which I discovered as a channel because they also show gilmore girl reruns).
                Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

I still watch Days of our Lives every day and have it recorded on my dvr.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                    I remember kids in college arranging their schedule to watch Days. Heehee, I wonder if anyone does that anymore?

I usually had to tape it during college because of my work schedule. I haven't watched since then. I wonder if the plot line has advanced. It might not be too hard to catch up!
                    Last edited by cupcake; 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                      I watched General Hospital in high school. That was back when the Cassidines were trying to freeze the earth - and Luke and Laura were battling forbidden love. Everyone in my high school watched it after school. I wonder if they were trying to capture a new demographic then. Since then, no.
                      I used to watch GH in middle school-9th grade. My best friend, Tiffany, and I used to call each other and talk about the characters afterward.

Comment

My grandma was a die hard CBS daytime soap watcher. She moved in w/us after my parents divorce, to help raise us (5 kids ages 5 to13). I will still stop on ATWT As the World Turns, from time to time, to see if I can figure it out .
                        Gosh just talking about it makes me miss my grandma.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles View Post
                          Gosh just talking about it makes me miss my grandma.
                          Me too! Funny how little memories like that can sneak up on you...
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I watch As the World Turns. I dvr it it, and can skip days or weeks (only keep 1 episode) and still know what's going on. As with so many before me, this also ties to my grandma. I remember watching with her (she watched all of CBS soaps -- and I did too at one time, but who has the time or patience for that now?). There are actually some of the same ACTORS on there that were on when I was a kid! Plastic surgery is AMAZING (and not always in a good way).

Comment

I have great memories of watching soaps at my grandma's house, too...she would watch them while I colored or read books next to her on the couch. I remember the tv line-up...Sesame Street, Bonanza and then Days.

Comment

Working...
                              X