Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Obsessed--OCD Reality TV show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsessed--OCD Reality TV show

Has anyone seen this? This is an extremely interesting show! It's on Monday nights at 10 pm Eastern time I think on A & E. They follow one to two people each hour-long show who have OCD of various types and severities. They show the participants getting 12 weeks of cognitive-behavioral therapy during the course of the show, and it's interesting to watch the therapists taking the participants through a course of exposure therapy (like if their problem is multiple handwashings the therapist makes them not wash their hands after touching something dirty, until they become comfortable with not washing their hands). At the end of the show the therapists discuss the participants' progress.

It's very interesting to hear these people's stories and see the severity of their OCD symptoms. And then when the therapists are successful in helping them, it's pretty amazing (though sometimes the therapists are not successful in helping them or they relapse, which also makes the show interesting).

Interesting! I might have to check that one out.
    Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

I really enjoy this show but one that is more fascinating to me is the show on A & E that comes on right before Obsessed called Intervention. Intervention follow an addict (various types from alcohol, drug, food, or even anorexia) who thinks they are doing a documentary about addiction only to later find out that their family is working with an interventionist and has planned an intervention for them. The show pays for the addict to go to an impatient treatment center (very nice ones BTW) and follows their progress. What I especially appreciate about this show is that the producers don't just send the addicts off to treatment, they also offer to pay for the family members to go to the Betty Ford center or other appropriate center for a week to help them deal with codependecy issues. IMO it's one of the most quality shows out there, but I have family members who've suffered from addictions before so it's personal for me.
      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I haven't seen any of these but there is something about the show "Hoarders" that provokes a profound physiological response in me. My heart starts racing and I can't just sit there. I have to get up and clean. My maternal grandparents lived through the Depression. As an unfortunate consequence, they were hoarders. As a family we had cleaned out their house so many times. We'd find garbage bags of plastic silverware from Wendy's, stock piles of canned foods...Actually I can't even begin to describe it. Anyway, that issue strikes fear into my heart.

On second thought, maybe the show about compulsivity IS the one for me.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Obsessed--OCD Reality TV show

Last edited by weeniegeniewife; 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM.
          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Can't watch any of them- it's like being at work. I'd imagine that maybe that's partially why the dawkters hate medical shows. (although at least the A & E shows and Celebrity Addiciton or whatever it's called are at least realistic- the intern isn't operating the MRI machine single-handedly...)

Jenn

Comment

Too funny Jenn! It drives DH crazy that there's never an anesthesiologist in the room when they do surgeries on TV.
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Yeah, my husband is still pissed that he never got to share a call room with hot ex-supermodels who changed in front of him a la Grey's Anatomy.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                  Too funny Jenn! It drives DH crazy that there's never an anesthesiologist in the room when they do surgeries on TV.
                  Grey's had one...I think... It drives my DH crazy that on House the neurologist (or House) goes ahead and does brain surgery...etc. You know, specialties aren't really necessary for TV.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

So I am OCD about realty shows in general. I have no idea why since I am sure most of them are not that dramatic in real life.
                    I went to the Oprah show one time, and that was like a skit, everything was set up.

Comment

I've never seen the show, but I've seen on of the promotional teasers. As part of its backrgound sound, it has the voice of an OCD suffer repeating, over-and-over, some counting. It is extremely disconcerting and creepy. It scares the bee-jeezus out of my son. He runs from the room when the commercial when it's on.

Comment

Working...
                      X