Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

HBO's True Detective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's True Detective

Anyone watching? Thoughts so far?
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

I am! It's slow moving yet really interesting. I'm impressed by McConaughey's performance. I have decided to keep HBO because of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

That's exactly what I was going to say, MrsC! I am typically not a huge McConaughey fan, though I don't hate him, I just feel neutral in most of his roles. I think he's fantastic as this worn out, hardened detective. I am really enjoying him in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Yeah so the last scene of tonight's episode with legitimately haunt my dreams for at least a couple nights...

sigpic

Comment

Ok, so I started watching (I just *might* have access to my BFF's HBO GO account...) and stopped after a few minutes because the intro stuff was moving slowly. Should I try again?
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
            Ok, so I started watching (I just *might* have access to my BFF's HBO GO account...) and stopped after a few minutes because the intro stuff was moving slowly. Should I try again?
            I would, but that's just my opinion. The first episode was a little slow, the second one better. Last night's was great. It's not an action packed show by any means, it's very dialogue heavy which I actually find nice. It's very dark and brooding, but I've also found that to be a nice breath of fresh air from some of my other fave shows. It's an anthology series so the Harrelson/McCounahey combo will only be in play for this season/8 episodes, so I'm guessing that because it's not going to be sustained over several seasons they are building suspense and doing lots of character development via dialogue.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
              Yeah so the last scene of tonight's episode with legitimately haunt my dreams for at least a couple nights...
              Ah, I missed it!
              I will have to try and watch it on HBO GO.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Is anyone else watching this?? Holy crap the past two episodes have exploded with creepy awesomeness. This is easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's creepy and cerebral and chilling. MM is amazing. Am I the only one watching?? Last night's episode finished and all I could think was: "HOW CAN I MAKE IT TO NEXT SUNDAY???"

sigpic

Comment

DH and I have started watching now. We're watching on HBO GO, so we saw #4 this weekend. Things really went crazy. Matthew McConaughey is excellent - never thought I'd say that!
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                    Matthew McConaughey is excellent - never thought I'd say that!
                    This, exactly! And yeah, the first two episodes are rather slow, but still creepy. It wasn't until ep 4 that shit blew up and I was watching with my mouth covered. Last night's episode was also really crazy and revealing. I cannot wait to see where it goes. I have been really, really impressed by the calibre of story telling, even though it did have a slow start.

sigpic

Comment

In addition - I have become completely fascinated by the mythology surrounding this story and the good v. evil while trying to solve this crime. The stuff about "The King In Yellow" and the Chlutlu mythology is so fascinating.

The Southern gothic tones have inspired me to re-read my complete Flannery O'Connor works. It's all so chilling and I am loving it right now.

sigpic

Comment

You need to visit New Orleans. Tons of that creepy stuff there!
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                          You need to visit New Orleans. Tons of that creepy stuff there!
                          So I hear! This show makes rural Louisiana look really creepy!

sigpic

Comment

Looks like I need to add this to my list. I love shows like American Horror Story. Why do I torture myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                              Looks like I need to add this to my list. I love shows like American Horror Story. Why do I torture myself!

Oh if you like AHS, you'll like this - sort of in the same vein, definitely unsettling. Give it the first three episodes before you give up. It starts slow - the first two are a little heavy - but the 3rd, 4th, 5th? Awesome. It's also cool to read articles online about all the connections and symbolism about the mythology in the show. It's an anthology series so the Harrelson/McCongnahey duo will only be around for 3 more episodes!! The upside to that is at least we know there won't be some horrible, painful season finale cliffhanger that makes you want to break your TV (I'm looking at you, Grey's/Scandal/Dexter/Homeland).

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X