Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you have TiVo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have TiVo?

We're thinking about getting it, we'd considered it before but because we didn't have a phone jack where our TV is located it wasn't possible but now they have a wireless network adapter that would solve that problem.

This is mostly DH's idea, I actually hardly watch any TV so I don't really care if we get it or not. But, my concern is that everyone I've talked to who has TiVo says that they actually watch MORE TV than they did before they got it. I feel like DH spends enough time in front of the TV as it is, and this is only going to encourage more!

Anyway, if you have TiVo, how do you like it? Do you think you watch more TV than you did before you had it? What kind of plan did you buy? And where did you buy your DVR box? I was looking at the TiVo website and thought the box fees on their site looked reasonable (was looking at the $30 model), but was wondering if maybe there's a way to save some money on that. I've checked a couple of other sites (Best Buy, Amazon, Target) and what looks like the same DVR box sells for $200-$250 ... what's the difference??!
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

We have dvr and absolutely love it! Like Lily, we only watch shows that have been dvr'd.....and because of this, we watch less tv than before. We have about 4-5 shows that we record on a regular basis. Once a week we'll have a *date night* where we catch up on all of our shows after ds has gone to bed. We LOVE being able to watch our shows whenever we want and being able to skip through commercials.

Comment

We ultimately decided against it. Netflix is cheaper and we don't mind being a season behind. Plus we don't have to subscribe to all the channels for just one show as you would with TiVo. Don't forget that TiVo will only record from the channels you're currently getting.

Comment

I have DVR and I love it, love it, love it! (DVR and TiVO are different though. Tivo is a subscription for a box you buy and DVR is just rented through the cable company.)

I watch the same amount of TV, I just don't have to worry about WHEN I watch it. Oh, and the pause feature is unmatchable.

Comment

I have a Tivo through my Directv (they have their own brand of DVR now, but I am in love with Tivo). I watch more t.v. now, but I am more efficient at it. DH watches less. In the summer, we hardly watch any, but it is nice to have shows that are recorded that we can watch together regardless if he is on call, we are out, or just want to go to bed. THey will be there later.

I don't know anyone who has one and wished they didn't.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We have TiVo. We have free satellite tv through our apartment and can never seem to find enough movies to make Netflix worthwhile for us... I have NO IDEA how the TiVo machine works. That's dh's thing. He loves it!
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We've got DVR. We pay $5/month for the service and we LOVE it. It's so nice to be able to skip commercials and to schedule recordings w/o worrying about tapes.

Comment

We too have a DVR recorder - its great, SO nice to watch shows that we record without commercials however we don't really use it skip commercials one every show we watch.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We watch the Simpsons, Family Guy, and sometimes the news. DH has alluded to watching more PBS once the kiddo's here. If he misses his shows he can get them on iTunes for $1.99 and watch them in bed on his iPod or project the iPod onto the TV. So...no urgent need for cable or Tivo here.
                  Alison

Comment

We have a DVR through our cable company and love it! We don't watch more tv......we only watch ER, The Office, that Earl show about karma, and DH watches Lost. It is so nice to have it already set, and we always look forward to watching our shows at some point during the weekend, or at least before the next week's episodes!

My kids have used it occasionally, to record a football game or something, but not too often.

Sally
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We have the DVR through the cable company as welll. It's just a different cable box with the DVR built in. They charge an additional $7 a month for the service here. It is absolutely worth it for the convenience. You can pause, rewind, record etc. It's great for managing entertainment around children's ever pressing needs. No more missing "the good part" because the baby woke up.

I do think we watch more TV now than before we had it. I think studies have shown that as well. We didn't watch much before because nothing came on in the hour or so we had each night kid free. Now, we can choose something recorded. Sadly, my kids don't know life without DVR. They only watch recorded shows and can't grasp when something is "live". They don't understand when you can't fast forward through an ad. The good part about that is that it allows total screening of their viewing. If we like a show, they set it to record and save 2 episodes. They watch after school or when they are sick.
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I love it, too, for pausing when the phone rings. I hate when I'm watching Grey's Anatomy and someone calls (Why are you calling me?! It's 9:34 on a Thursday night!!). Now I can just press pause and then fast forward through the commercials until I get caught up with the live show.

Tres magnifique!

Comment

I have TiVo, and I'll admit I probably watch more TV now just because the way my schedule is when I'm able to watch TV, there is generally nothing on, and now I can follow 6-10 shows (and I do)

When I didn't have TiVo, I just wouldn't bother watching TV.
                          - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

We also have Tivo and it is one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century! Well...it's either the greatest or the worst. I definitely watch soooo much more tv now that we have Tivo, but I'm able to watch all the programs I want to watch and when I want to watch them. I even Tivo those workout programs that come on PBS in the early early morning and do them later on in the day. It's great...I recommend it.

Although I believe I heard that Tivo has now stopped it's whole lifetime subscription thing. If that is true, I wonder if it's really a better deal now...and ultimately, better...

Comment

Originally posted by anwanie99
                              Although I believe I heard that Tivo has now stopped it's whole lifetime subscription thing.
                              Sadly, this is true. We'd wanted to get it back when they offered the lifetime subscription option, but didn't have the connection capability. Of course, now that we CAN get it we have to pay the monthly fee for life! Argh.

Anyway, we decided to get it. I just ordered the box and service this morning. I just hope we don't turn into a couple of couch potatoes!! As reciprocity said, since there's usually nothing I want to watch when I actually have free time, I just don't bother with the TV now and instead I come online or read a book or just do something else. So, we'll see how this goes!
                              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                              X