Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Duck Fans - Rumor has it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Fans - Rumor has it...

This tweet has people talking on some sports blogs...

@ESPNChrisLarsen: Rumor re: #Oregon sanctions. 4 years probation, 2 year bowl ban, 30 scholarships over 3 years. Not a good look for Duck Fans if true.

If this is true they are changing the face of football not just with Penn State.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Oh my gosh, I had not heard that yet. Yikes!
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I guess if this is going to happen at least it last ended on a series of high notes.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Dammit, why couldn't this have happened last year? Maybe we actually would have won the Rose Bowl!

I'm not all that familiar with Oregon's issues, but it's scary....I don't think that many D1 football programs are squeaky-clean.
        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Why are they being sanctioned?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
          Kris

Comment

That's the million dollar question. Keep in mind these are just rumors right now and nothing is confirmed. For the past year we've heard rumblings of NCAA violations and behind the scenes talks. What about we don't exactly know. We even went on a high alert for a week when word came from a high sports figure in Portland that Coach Kelly was in negotiations for greener pastures and looking to bail after the Rose Bowl win instead of taking the fall with the team. By the end of that week he had confirmed the reports and said publically that he declined the offer and would stay with the Ducks. A lot of football players have also graduated, were kicked off the team, drafted or left. Most of the team is made up of incoming freshman now so the legacy rides on them.
            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

With those kinds of sanctions, it must be a pretty serious violation.
              Kris

Comment

I read this yesterday about UNC and thought it raised many issues...sanctions just got very interesting...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...&sct=cf_t2_a14
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yike SS - that is amazing.

I know Madison has several classes that they direct student athletes to take because they have lighter time commitments. Hell, the foreign language class I taught was only 4 days a week instead of the standard 5 for Spanish, French or German AND the department had a woman on staff who's job was to tutor the student athletes so that they would pass the classes. I was never pressured to fudge their grades, but boy, some of them should not have been in college...

I assume that every Division I school does something similar. But, no-show classes? That's pretty awful.
                  Kris

Comment

And what kills me about UNC is that Roy Williams, the basketball coach, used to be at Kansas and has always been the holier then though of running a clean program - you can't tell me not a single basketball player took these classes, yeh right!
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I heard this yesterday too. Neither Oregon nor the NCAA is confirming anything. I don't believe it yet. This is related to paying Willy Lyles (sp?) for"scouting" services. Oregon paid him something like $25,000 to scout, but he was doing more influencing than scouting supposedly. The sanctions would be pretty harsh compared to the violation.
                      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Hmmm interesting. I wonder what the violations are too.

Rhett Bomar getting kicked off OU's team by Stoops back in 2006 gives me hope there is integrity there, but you never know. OU has had basketball sanctions not oo log ago
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post

Rhett Bomar getting kicked off OU's team by Stoops back in 2006 gives me hope there is integrity there, but you never know. OU has had basketball sanctions not oo log ago
                          Oh dear, so sorry but Stoops and integrity don't typically go together in the same sentence Not just at OU but AZ was stuck with a Stoops for far far too long as well.

I really don't expect integrity from any big collegiate program TBH, it would be nice, but I think it is the rare exception.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'd forgotten about the "scouting guy" being paid and his unscrupulous methods. I think that is part of it. There are a few other things too I can think of that have happened but I'm not sure what it is really going on.
                            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

The first confirmation of some hints at some major NCAA violations. They just released the documents to the press this August but much of it is redacted so it's difficult to connect the dots.

In one e-mail, Duffin from the NCAA talks about how the university could potentially face penalties for “major violations.”

In an e-mail dated March 23, Duffin wrote to Glazier saying, “I’m assuming that the institution is cognizant that NCAA bylaw 19.5.2.1.1 MAY be applicable in this case based on the COI’s (Committee on Infractions) 6/23/04 Infractions Report concerning the institution.”

That particular bylaw concerns penalties for “major violations.” Penalties laid out include a probationary period, limiting recruiting trips, losing scholarships or some staff members being suspended or fired.

The 2004 infractions were about “impermissible contact and violations” related to an assistant coach administering a “National Letter of Intent,” which the letter a recruit signs when committing to a school.

Also of note, a school can be considered a “repeat offender” if a violation occurred within five years of a previous penalty being issued. That means if the UO is found to have committed violations before June 2009, five years after they were last penalized, they could be considered a repeat offender and face stiffer penalties.
                              Link to full story

Gosh I wonder what is really going on and what's going to happen.
                              PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                              X