Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

You might be from the Northwest if you..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You might be from the Northwest if you..

A good friend of mine from Seattle forwarded this to me, and thought a few of you would get a kick out it.

Crystal

You might be from the Northwest if you...

Feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.

Use the expression "sun break" and know what it means.

Know more people who own boats than air conditioners.

Feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.

Stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" signal.

Consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it's not a real mountain.

Know the difference between Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye salmon.

Know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, and Willamette.

Consider swimming an indoor sport.

Can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Thai food.

In winter, go to work in the dark and come home in the dark--while only working eight-hour days.

Never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.

Are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain, and tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."

Can't wait for a day with "showers and sun breaks."

Have no concept of humidity without precipitation.

Know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.

Can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you can't see through the cloud cover.

Say, "The Mountain is out" when it's a pretty day and you can actually see it.

Put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.

Switch to your sandals when it gets above 60, but keep the socks on.

Have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.

Think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.

Knew immediately that the view out "Frasier's" window was fake.

Buy new sunglasses every year, because you can't find the old ones after such a long time.

Switch from "heat" to "a/c" in the same day.

You use a down comforter in the summer.

Your grandparents drive 65 mph through 2 feet of water during raging rainstorm without flinching.

Design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.

Know that driving is better in the winter because almost everybody stays home.

Think sexy lingerie is tube socks and flannel pajamas.

Actually understand these comments.
    Gas, and 4 kids

Re: You might be from the Northwest if you..

Originally posted by cricketnmatt

I have seen a list like this before!

The "Mountain" should actually be changed to "Mt. Ranier," it's a specific mountain. Mt. Ranier is out.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Re: You might be from the Northwest if you..

Originally posted by alison
      Originally posted by cricketnmatt

I have seen a list like this before!

The "Mountain" should actually be changed to "Mt. Ranier," it's a specific mountain. Mt. Ranier is out.
      The funny thing when we were first living there we heard people say Oh the mountain is out, and we would go "huh?" They would look at us like you morons and say Mt. Rainier.

Some people our current place PNW, and I think it's pushing it just a bit. There are some things that we don't experience like we did in Seattle, ie- sunbreaks, I haven't heard that term since we lived in Seattle.

Crystal
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

There are so many things on the list that I do/understand/appreciate.

When I first moved to Chicago, I couldn't understand why there were no recycling bins and you had to PAY for blue bags for recycling, and why they'd get thrown in with the regular garbage. I thought there HAD to be some recycle bins SOMEWHERE. So, I started collecting cans and bottles in the trunk of my car thinking I'd spot one on the road or something.

I appreciate sunbreaks.
        No jaywalking either. And cars will wait for you to cross at both marked and unmarked intersections. That was something new for me when I moved too. Probably part of the reason I'm scared to drive here! I've seen more than one person jump out into the street and get hit by a car!

Comment

Love it!

Comment

I think Mt. Hood goes by "the Mountain", what would you say, Nellie?
            Alison

Comment

I think so!

Comment

Mt Baker also tends to appear all of a sudden. Not quite like Rainier (which I didn't see over the past two days in Seattle, despite somewhat sunny weather yesterday ).

I totally feel all the comments about the weather... I miss the sun breaks. I got excited this morning about seeing a patch of blue sun in the distance... for a few minutes I believed that the forecast would be proven wrong... and then it started raining.

Comment

When we lived in Pa, a co-worker of mine told me that when she first visited Oregon and landed at PDX, it was a clear day and Mt. Hood was very visible. She said that her first reaction when she saw the mountain was to ask "is that always there?"

For some reason, that story always makes me chuckle.
                  Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Loved the list!!!!!

I lauged out loud!

Now I'm a little homesick!!!
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I hear you , Flynn. Each time I go back to Seattle, I wonder why we live elsewhere. There are wonderful things about Chicago and the Midwest, but home is where there are mountains and trees and water within driving distance. And... as my dh would say: "where there's an Ivar's."

Comment

Yep. I hear you Alison! I love the NW. Love it from head to toe.

Of course now that I'm gone I "forget" about the high housing prices, traffic, and how the winters can seem three years long....sigh.

The physical beauty of the area is magnificant. Driving across either bridge in the morning (after rush hour ) on a clear day made me SO HAPPY (the floating bridge especially) to just be alive. Corny but true. Summers there are my idea of heaven --- 75 degrees in the sun, no humidity or bugs and evenings that last until 9.

Okay I'll stop now.
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

If it's any consolation, this winter has been really mild (so far) in Chicago. Everyone from around here says that winters aren't like they used to be.
                          This weather reminds me of home. Ask me again about winter when it hits January/Feb, and I'll probably give you a different answer. You've been lucky with this winter, Flynn. It's a good transition!

I miss driving across the lake, too. And I miss trees. Big, wonderful-smelling evergreens. And cedar burning in the fireplace.

Comment

Working...
                          X