Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What accent do you have??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I actually say soda a lot but it is mostly because I rebel against the stereotypes...lol.

I also don't put an S at the end of Meijer and Labatt...lol...'cuz there isn't one there. [/i]

Comment

Okay---- I really don't think I have an accent, but I definitely have fallen into the "new orleans " way of speaking... like..
      IMA- for I'm going to
      RUM- Room
      Whatcha- What do you want
      Those are just a few... Are there any words typical to where you gals are from?
      Oh... and I think it's crazy because when we order sandwhiches here we say "I would like it dressed... meaning tomato, lettuce, cheese etc etc..." Is that really not used elsewhere????? Tell me you have heard that before!

Comment

I just found this test and thought I'd try it out, even though I'm Australian.

Apparently I would come from the Northeast, if I was American! Are our accents really so similar, I wonder? I don't know much about the differences between accents in the States, so could anyone comment as to whether they think a Northeast accent would be anything like an Australian one?!

And on the topic of accents, but really tangentially, has anyone ever watched a Brian Kest yoga video? His accent is kind of hard for me to understand - it sounds like he's in a gangster movie or something, whatever that means!

Comment

The Inland North:

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I would not say that NE accents are at ALL similar to Austrailian accents ... but what do I know.

Oh - and Clevelanders do NOT say "GAHD". The guy from Euclid was wierd. The one that bugs me is the Pittsburgh "GAWD". Funny --- it always seemed to me that from Canton down people started to sound more "southern".

Comment

Well, everyone from Pittsburgh talks funny. My mom's entire family has lived there for YEARS and i still laugh.

Comment

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
                The West

Boston,North Central,The Inland North,The South,Philadelphia,The Northeast

I'm from New England but not Boston but I guess close enough. Funnily enough, I went to college in Boston and everyone assumed I was from New York. :huh: I grew up close to NY but I definitely don't have a NY accent. DH says I have a LI accent, which I don't at all! And I've asked friends I've made down here and they say I have no accent at all.

Comment

Also DH thinks I don't enunciate some words enough; the biggest one we squabble over is Manhattan. I think he OVER-enunciates the "tt"'s and he thinks I just skip over them. Then I tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about; we're like Green Acres - I'm the city gal and he's the little country bumpkin.

Comment

The midland, followed by West, Boston, and North Central.

I grew up in washington state but have spent 7 years in the north east and five in the south. Additionally dh is from Ireland and I've picked up a lot of words from him over the past ten years. The few times people have asked me what my accent was they all thought I was from canada. Go figure. :huh:
                    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ides
                      The midland, followed by West, Boston, and North Central.

I grew up in washington state but have spent 7 years in the north east and five in the south. Additionally dh is from Ireland and I've picked up a lot of words from him over the past ten years. The few times people have asked me what my accent was they all thought I was from canada. Go figure. :huh:
                      Similar story!
                      I grew up in Seattle, and have been living for the past 6 years in Chicago. Dh and I speak a lot of German at home and I speak mostly German at work. When I talk to my parents, I use a lot of German intonation laced with hearty, Midwestern vowels.

There is this lady from the burbs here and she says "bekwause" (for because). It's like nails against a chalkboard.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I have a "midland accent" and they are correct. I am from nebraska. They never commented on saying pop.....which I DO say pop. It has always seemed so odd to me to call it coke or soda.

Comment

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri)
                          I just want to say whoever wrote this has had a very different experience of Southern Illinois than I have.
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
                            Wow, really? And here I thought I had a very defined Eastern European accent. To think I could've been a TV person with my impeccable pronunciation.
                            Cristina
                            IM PGY-2

Comment

Your Result: The Inland North

The results are right on. How do they do that with just a few questions? It's amazing - and for the record, it is "pop", so of course that is what I call a carbonated beverage.
                              -Deb
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X