Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Indian version of 12 Days of Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian version of 12 Days of Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owK5tHjL0aE

Cute!!
    Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

Okay - c'mon - you're married to an Indian!! I was snorting I was laughing so hard!!

Comment

Haha this made me laugh!
        Forwarded it to S

Comment

That was funny!!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Curse you, Jenn, for getting this stuck in my head! I've been singing it to myself constantly, complete with fake accent.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Jenn - he watched it with me and we were cracking up. Some things you can only appreciate fully when your part of that world. Kind of like watching Outsourced. I don't know if you guys watch it, but if not, you should. It kill us. But when I watch it I'm always wondering if the other people out there watching it are getting all of the imbedded jokes. Everyone I know who's Indian loves it.

Comment

Funny - did Outsourced improve after the first few episodes? We tried watching it & really wanted to like it, but whole we're both quite eager & ready to laugh at the culture in general (see above), we were annoyed by most of it. Several of my fb friend's that are Indian felt the same.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know... we've pretty much liked it since the beginning. And didn't find it annoying or offensive. Even my mother-in-law likes it. What my husband and I always wonder is whether or not Non-Indians (or those not married to them) even get all of the inside jokes and find it as funny as we do. We find it funny in an endearing sort of way. Obviously, it's poking fun at some stereotypical things, but we've never found it offensive.

Speaking of such things, would you believe I was watching Sesame Street with my toddler the other day and it was totally Neela-centric (I think that's the Indian character's name??). There were all sorts of things in it about Indian culture and it also culminated with a Bollywood-style dance number with all of the monsters and other characters decked out in Indian clothes. Elmo was even wearing a Sikh-style turban. I pulled my husband into the room to watch it with me and was like - would you have ever thought that when you were little and a recent immigrant and watching this as a kid that 30+ years later they'd be doing an Indian dance number?? He was blown away.
                  Last edited by JC76; 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JC76 View Post
                    Speaking of such things, would you believe I was watching Sesame Street with my toddler the other day and it was totally Neela-centric (I think that's the Indian character's name??). There were all sorts of things in it about Indian culture and it also culminated with a Bollywood-style dance number with all of the monsters and other characters decked out in Indian clothes. Elmo was even wearing a Sikh-style turban. I pulled my husband into the room to watch it with me and was like - would you have ever thought that when you were little and a recent immigrant and watching this as a kid that 30+ years later they'd be doing an Indian dance number?? He was blown away.
                    That's super cool! I didn't even know Sesame Street had an Indian character -- we're all Curious George here. I'll have to try to find a clip.

DH & I are all about poking fun at the stereotypical things. He says "We're taking over the world - one motel and 7 Eleven at a time." I think we both thought they were MISSING a lot of the obvious chances at humor, and poking fun at other things in a cruel way (not necessarily only Indian things). We'll have to give it another try. After all, I hated Scrubs at first (we were in residency - I think I couldn't find anything about it funny), and now I adore it.

Comment

Working...
                    X