Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New pain scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pain scale

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...-probably.html

My husband has complained about the pain scale before. He says that everyone always says that they are an 8. haha! anyway, this made me laugh.
    -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Awesome!!!
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
      If I'm ever in the hospital I'm going to rate my pain as stuff like "7.12" or "6.33 repeating".
      HAHAHAHA I'd like to hear the reactions!
      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

My husband says that he tells patients that 10 is cutting your arm off with a chainsaw. yikes
        -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

All of dh's patients are a 10/10 or 8/10 even after explanations that a 10 means being mauled by a bear while on fire. Seriously.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

They asked me to rate my pain when I went in for some cramping. My response: I maybe would have taken a Tylenol for it, if I felt like getting up to get some. Don't know where that falls on the traditional scale, though! I remember being at my grandma's hospital room years and years ago, and 10 was "childbirth". Not very helpful, I'd imagine!
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoe View Post
              He says that everyone always says that they are an 8. haha!
              My DH came home really puzzled one day, when a patient advised him that he was a 6.43 on the pain scale. "How exactly did he arrive at that fractional representation of his pain??"

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                All of dh's patients are a 10/10 or 8/10 even after explanations that a 10 means being mauled by a bear while on fire. Seriously.
                Heidi, I am dying laughing here!

We have an equivalent sort of measurement here in the Judge's chambers for the US Bankruptcy Court, for determining whether or not a "motion for emergency relief" to be heard within 24 hours, is actually addressing a REAL emergency. My standard is, "Is someone standing over property of the estate with a gasoline and a match, threatening to set something on fire?" If not, then it is not an emergency. It is an inconvenience. And it is YOUR inconvenience, not the Judge's. On the other hand, the attorneys making the request always define an emergency as "whatever self-induced last minute disaster I have walked myself into." Guess who's standard wins?

Yes, obtaining legal relief can, on occasion, be as painful as obtaining Oxy when you're jonesing.

Comment

I struggled with that answer when in labor..."if 10 is childbirth, you tell me, am I a 10?" but pain wasn't a problem during labor for me, it was exhaustion.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

When my epidural wore off with Caleb, I still would only rate the pain a 9.5. Cripes, I would imagine there *has* to be something worse than having a baby. *shrug*

@ Heidi - Chad has some doozy patients.
                    Kris

Comment

I told my L&D nurse that I was a 7, but that my scale only goes to 7, because "my husband says there's no way I can ever be a 10. So I'm definitely a 7 out of 9."

They must have rolled their eyes.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Childbirth after the epidural wore off I would classify as a 6 or 7. I've been an 8 or 9 before. Recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                          I told my L&D nurse that I was a 7, but that my scale only goes to 7, because "my husband says there's no way I can ever be a 10. So I'm definitely a 7 out of 9."

They must have rolled their eyes.
                          Too funny!
                          Jen
                          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                            I spent 2 years between a 6 and 7 on that scale (and my own). For me, 6 was "pain distracting enough even with script meds that it permeates my every thought" and 7 was "short temper brought on by low-grade anxiety and mild nausea". I think I'm pretty realistic with my pain scale. Even in the hospital I felt like post-op I was a firm 8 when they couldn't get the dilaudid pump to work.
                            A PT office I was in after I broke my tailbone years ago had a chart that had things like this on it ("can't concentrate on anything else", "distracting, but able to focus on other things", etc.) - only truly useful chart I've ever seen, and I've never seen it anywhere else. Wish I could find it so I could use it every time I'm asked. I can't distinguish between a 3 and a 4 without concrete examples of what a 3 and a 4 are, for pete's sake!
                            Last edited by poky; 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM.
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                              A PT office I was in after I broke my tailbone years ago had a chart that had things like this on it ("can't concentrate on anything else", "distracting, but able to focus on other things", etc.) - only truly useful chart I've ever seen, and I've never seen it anywhere else. Wish I could find it so I could use it every time I'm asked. I can't distinguish between a 3 and a 4 without concrete examples of what a 3 and a 4 are, for pete's sake!
                              A ha! I decided to check again for it, and found this; I'm pretty sure this is the one I remember seeing, or is at least very close: http://www.pudendal.info/node/18
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X