Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

It's great being married to a doctor (or resident, or medical student) because...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's great being married to a doctor (or resident, or medical student) because...

Let's be positive

because I've gotten the chance to move places I wouldn't have on my own.
    because I've gotten the freedom to grow as an individual (and pushed out of my comfort zone).
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Pttttttttttth.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Because I know my marriage can survive anything.

Because I am a member of iMSN

Because eventually you can afford a few nice things.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

because you can skip paying a co-pay just to get an RX.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I second the iMSN member benefit.

I have a great reminder of perspective. My tough day is nothing compared to the person who walks into the hospital with an unbearable ache and ends up with a terminal diagnosis.

I know I can do so much on my own and I am stronger than I knew possible.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I have to add - I am now full of somewhat useless knowledge, and realize how very strange a dinner conversation can become quickly.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Someday I can quit my job and we'll be just fine with 4-6 kids.

He likes what he does.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

You get to learn so many interesting things from them.

Along the same lines as Deebs stated, your appriciation, for health and life, becomes more acute.

In my case, I have been blessed w/the financial security to be a SAHM!

Comment

Occasional professional courtesy.

Personal stashes of random medical supplies that made their way home in pockets.

Endless entertainment while watching medical TV shows when he can predict the diagnosis or laugh at all the things they're doing wrong.
                  Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Seeing your husband (or spouse) excel at something he's passionate about, and be truly, honestly, naturally really good at what he's doing makes me so proud of him. Seeing that, despite the hard work and never-ending journey to attendinghood, he still gets joy and excitement out of learning, makes me happy. And finally, knowing that he'll be an amazing doctor gives me such a rewarding sense of pride and happiness--and I'm not even the one "achieving"!

Hm...almost through with MS-1 and what else can I say is great about being married to a med student....drawing a blank here...maybe the fact that he got a real Christmas break this past year and we got, like ten whole days together to do nothing/whatever we wanted. That was nice. Otherwise, I expect that the journey will allow me to add some of the above to my list (mainly, this being something that strengthens me as a person, etc. Something I desperately need!)
                    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I can fill the DVR with trashy, mindless shows and watch them alone (without judgment) while DH is on call.

Having the freedom to pursue a hobby career, work part-time, or not at all.

I love that my children’s medical providers are forthright and explain things in technical detail to my husband because he’s a dawktor.

ETA: YES! What Deebs said, too. I'm so grateful for my family's health!

Comment

That my dh has an otoscope and can dx ear issues at home.

That I have learned so much about about medicine without having to go through med school myself.

I love that he's so smart and adept at managing endless details at work, yet looks at me in awe for managing house stuff. Lol.
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Hmmmm. This a good exercise because it is really hard for me to find the positives.....other than IMSN. I guess the two times we have had family in the hospital, it has been nice having DH play patient advocate and know "the system". It is great that he does something he loves but the way healthcare is going, that is getting harder and harder to do.

I was glad DH was an intern when the dogs and I would go to the children's hospital for animal assisted therapy. I have some cute pictures of DH and the dogs "at work"
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I've become much more patient and I've learned to sweat the big things - ignore the little ones...which has made me a happier person.

As a result, I'm much more likely to enjoy myself, my husband an our life together.

Comment

I've learned that nothing I do will ever gross him out because he's probably seen worse at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X