Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

It's great being married to a doctor (or resident, or medical student) because...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
    When our son was very sick as a toddler, we got VIP treatment in the ER and on the floor afterward. It was nice to be ushered back to the open room quickly when you've got a very sick 18 mos old in your arms. Also, I think they were quicker to send us the "best" at everything -- best guy from PICU to do the IVs, best nurse, etc. it was touching how well they took care of their resident's family - particularly because they worked him like a dog the rest of the time!
    This is also what we experienced when R got sick and DH was a fellow. It was very relieving since we had only lived there about six weeks.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

1.) We have the single weirdest tool box replete with needle drivers, hemostats, and surgical rags.

2.) We have a SCARY extensive first aid kit. It's larger than all of our tool boxes combined and is on wheels. No, I'm not exaggerating.

3.) We've met some seriously cool peeps, iMSNers included.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Now that would have been a handy thing to have. It cost us over $2,000 to have K2's eyebrow glued a couple months ago.
        Except it wasn't in its outer vial thing - so it was in the super-fragile, ready to crack and use, state
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Is conference travel a perk? Is this a thing that happens? Do docs have conferences in cool places? Our faculty chair in our dept is always going to fun conferences and takes her sons--Zurich, Australia, Seattle, BVI, etc. I talked to the son of an ophthalmologist over the weekend and he said they got to go to pretty fun places too, when his dad was going to a conference and their school schedule allowed.
          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
            Is conference travel a perk? Is this a thing that happens? Do docs have conferences in cool places? Our faculty chair in our dept is always going to fun conferences and takes her sons--Zurich, Australia, Seattle, BVI, etc. I talked to the son of an ophthalmologist over the weekend and he said they got to go to pretty fun places too, when his dad was going to a conference and their school schedule allowed.

We've gone to one conference with DH. It was in March. I got so sick Thirteen's hubby called to listen to my cough and gave DH his recs for course of treatment. And we are STILL waiting to get reimbursed.
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

DH could have gone to a conference in NOLA last week, we'll probably go to a conference in San Fran in October, we went to Vegas last Februar. We haven't gotten to go anywhere international yet, I'll be surprised if we do...
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                My experience so far: not really. My husband's about to leave for his third one this year--Vancouver, Baltimore, Denver. We may go with him when the kids are older, but right now, I feel like if I'm going to wrestle two little ones to tour a city without Dad, I want to at least pick the city myself.

Plus, it's single parenting at home for a week, but the practice has also been living without him for a week, so when he gets home, his call week is usually right on the heels of the conference, so it's another week of reduced parenting for him.

It's definitely a perk for the doctor, though--he gets to see at least a glimpse of a bunch of places he might not otherwise go. They do have them in cool places. Maybe it all looks different when the kids are older.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Not so much, in our experience, especially when kids are school-aged. Also, if he is at a conference, he isn't seeing patients/making money, so there's that, too.
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Nope. I'm a conference organizer and it is not a perk. At all.

Although seeing how some of these guys act when away from their spouses can be horrifying/entertaining (mostly horrifying).
                    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I had a lovely day exploring Coronado Island and am sitting in the beautiful Hotel del Coronado right now while DH is attending a conference this week, so I'd say "yes" to conference travel being a perk.
                      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
                        I had a lovely day exploring Coronado Island and am sitting in the beautiful Hotel del Coronado right now while DH is attending a conference this week, so I'd say "yes" to conference travel being a perk.
                        Oh, well, if DH could go there and we could be reimbursed within a reasonable time, I would be all over that!
                        Veronica

Comment

The kids have great grandparents (MIL/FIL), so conferences will be a perk for us. Either Gma/Gpa will watch the kids, or they will travel with us. Win-win. The first big one is in 2015 - the dept. sends all the PGY-5s to the Academy conference. 2015 is in Vegas!!
                          Jen
                          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

There's a conf in Boston in the fall. Like the VeggieTakes, I've never been to Boston in the fall. We may try for that one.
                            Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                              There's a conf in Boston in the fall. Like the VeggieTakes, I've never been to Boston in the fall. We may try for that one.
                              Thanks for the chuckle
                              Jen

Comment

We went to Puerto Rico in January for little more than the frequent flyer miles it took to get me there, thanks to a critical care conference. I had a great time! I'm a pretty self-sufficient tourist though, and I like any excuse to go places.
                                Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Working...
                                X