Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

It's great being married to a doctor (or resident, or medical student) because...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the same way, Julia! I just see spouses bored out of their minds at so many of these conferences. If there isn't anything planned for them, they don't even leave the venue. It drives me bonkers.
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm a very independent traveler too. I've been perfectly happy to say good-bye to DH as he leaves in the mornings (and see and do all the things *I* want to) and then meeting back up with him for dinner!
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I would love to go...without kids. But taking three kids and having to entertain them all day is easier at home than away. If I could leave the kids with someone it would be awesome!
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
          Oh yeah, I'm a very independent traveler too. I've been perfectly happy to say good-bye to DH as he leaves in the mornings (and see and do all the things *I* want to) and then meeting back up with him for dinner!
          Me too - this is why I love the conferences, we don't take the kids. If they were somewhere family friendly, like Orlando, we would - otherwise they stay home with grandma and grandpa!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We just got back from a 4 day trauma course with DH in San Diego. BabyJ and I met up with friends and hung out at the pool during the day, and we met up with DH and the other residents for dinner each night. We paid for our own rental car so I wouldn't be stuck at the hotel during the day. I could see things being more challenging with more than one kiddo in tow.

Comment

We sure get plenty of brochures for CME presentations in exotic locations that are marketing themselves as exciting destinations. But as a self-employed contractor, DH basically would pay out of pocket to travel to a conference. Even calling it a business expense wouldn't save enough in taxes to justify it, especially when he has no problem keeping up on his CME credits online. He might be traveling solo to a conference within driving distance this year though. Anyway, I guess we do business and pleasure separately.
              Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                Anyway, I guess we do business and pleasure separately.
                Yes, this is us too. Plus if I'm spending money to go on vacation with my husband I sure as hell don't want to share him with medicine. To me that's just the same old crap in a new location. Not at all appealing to me.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Isn't that funny? I'm more then happy to pay for an airplane ticket to sit in a paid for hotel room and shop or read or sit by the pool sans children! It may not be a vacation for DH but its a great vacation for me! he he
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    Isn't that funny? I'm more then happy to pay for an airplane ticket to sit in a paid for hotel room and shop or read or sit by the pool sans children! It may not be a vacation for DH but its a great vacation for me! he he
                    This sounds lovely to me, too! I tagged along to a conference in NYC a couple years ago and had a great time. Don't tell, but he skipped an afternoon session to hang out with me...
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Sounds fantastic to me!!! Once I'm no longer a baby food source, I will be tagging along as much as possible.

Comment

Count me in! One of my favorite vacations ever was a summer conference in Tahoe during med school. I walked around Olympic Village, read in the sunshine, went horseback riding, and met DH in the late afternoon!
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                          Is conference travel a perk? Is this a thing that happens? Do docs have conferences in cool places? Our faculty chair in our dept is always going to fun conferences and takes her sons--Zurich, Australia, Seattle, BVI, etc. I talked to the son of an ophthalmologist over the weekend and he said they got to go to pretty fun places too, when his dad was going to a conference and their school schedule allowed.
                          It can be, but probably not unless you're more well established and don't have young kids at home. I'll admit, I've gone on several cool trips with my parents for my dad's conferences, and my mom has gone on even more. Best were Amsterdam when I was in 6th grade (thank you Genzyme) and Atlantis in the Bahamas (I think this was on our dime, but cool still). Since he's very active and had leadership roles in his society, a lot of his expenses have been paid recently, so adding my mom or a kid just required paying for flights, since there was room for all of us in the hotel.
                          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Me too! I spent another great day today going for a 4-mile run, going to a yoga class, reading my book by the beach, and then wandering around the island with DH when he finished with his stuff for the day. No kids to referee, no meals to cook, no chores to do, lots of "me" time AND lots of couple time ... yep, sounds like a good vacation to me!
                            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I need my mom to not work so I can go with DH. Maybe in a few years when we can afford to pay her living expenses. I just need an extra $1500/month for her to be able to quit working!
                              Veronica
                              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

DH and I went to NOLA his first year of med school for a research conference. It was fun! We ate a lot of beignets and I got to see him present. It was neat. Best part is it was the first week of Mardi Gras--all the fun of the parades, etc without the crowds.
                                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                                X