Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

This is your “you’ve arrived at residency letter.”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is your “you’ve arrived at residency letter.”

This article/letter are wonderful. I hope you all find this as helpful as I did (at least parts of it anyways, I personally am not a parent yet but I have worried about lots of these things in considering a family)! I recommend checking out the "similar" articles section at the bottom, too!

http://www.katebaer.com/2015/07/02/g...ks-long-hours/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Grace

This is your “you’ve arrived at residency letter.”

This was really good thank you for sharing. It's a strange thing to read this now that DF and I have gone our separate ways. I could relate to so many parts of this in a somewhat bittersweet way (sadly he's not even in residency yet...sigh). Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ Mental Health Occupational Therapist, lover of horses, CrossFit, coffee, and the country (previously engaged to an MS4 and aspiring NSG) ~

Comment

😭

Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing. We don't have any children - yet - and I give so much credit to the folks who do and make it out of training whole. This note really spoke to me about friends not getting it and doubting himself as a doctor in the beginning. So true.

Comment

Originally posted by EvieLee View Post
          This was really good thank you for sharing. It's a strange thing to read this now that DF and I have gone our separate ways. I could relate to so many parts of this in a somewhat bittersweet way (sadly he's not even in residency yet...sigh). Thank you

You've been in my thoughts, [MENTION=5042]EvieLee[/MENTION]. How've you been?

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
            You've been in my thoughts, [MENTION=5042]EvieLee[/MENTION]. How've you been?
            Not too bad considering, uni is mad as I finish for good in under 30 days. I'm going to take a bit of time to work out where too next and get my feet back under me, I'm looking forward to a bit of a break thanks for thinking of me

~ Mental Health Occupational Therapist, lover of horses, CrossFit, coffee, and the country (previously engaged to an MS4 and aspiring NSG) ~

Comment

[MENTION=5042]EvieLee[/MENTION]!

Wow, I really love that letter. I went in expecting not to, because all too often these things come off a bit whiny and martyred. but they hit all the important points and did it in a way that respects the medical spouse, the non-medical spouse, and all the other families who daily go through tough situations alongside co-parents who are absent more than they want to be. Strong work, letter-writer!

And I like the bit about sharing with those who get it. *That's what we're here for.*
              Alison

Comment

I thought I would find it annoying too, but it really rang trie

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yeah I really enjoyed how she mentioned being appreciative of what we have, and how fortunate we are. Plus, that this applies to a lot of other couples who work lots and have to spend time apart. It's a nice perspective!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  Grace

Comment

What wonderful words you have shared! And how true it is to be grateful for what we DO have when others are struggling even more than we are (even though at the height of the moment we feel we have it worse than anyone in the world..at least that's how I sometimes feel). It is always humbling for me to take a minute to just breathe and think of everything I do have to be thankful for and how lucky I really am. In the midst of hard times, it is very difficult for me to remember these things. I very much enjoyed reading this letter and hope that when I find myself in a bad place or struggling I can come back and find some comfort in this. One of the most important things for me to remember is that I am truly not alone in this journey and that there are people thriving and happy in the middle of it all!
                    Paramedic and dog lover, girlfriend to an MS1, here to find friends and support during this journey

Comment

What a powerful read! Thank you so much for sharing! I like how it reminders me that SO is already feeling guilty on his end, and just be grateful!

Comment

This was really great. Much of it resonated.

Especially the part about the extended family not getting it. Or others pitying you. In the land of stay at home moms and dads who are home at 5 (read: our very middle class neighborhood), we are a huge anomaly. And I don't like pity.

The resentment thing also rang true. I feel frustrated that I can't pursue jobs professionally that I would like because of his career. I forget what it would be like to actually feel super motivated to go to work every day.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I think I've created too much of a safe space. Please don't tell me about the worst eye infection you've ever seen while I'm eating my eggs...

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                            I think I've created too much of a safe space. Please don't tell me about the worst eye infection you've ever seen while I'm eating my eggs...

I actually saw this letter back in July, and quite frankly I wasn't ready to hear it. I was too pissed off. I spent the whole month raging against the whole situation, and then all of August recovering my sanity. A couple more months in, and now it makes a lot of sense. But sometimes you just have to work through the stages of grief.
                            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                              I actually saw this letter back in July, and quite frankly I wasn't ready to hear it. I was too pissed off. I spent the whole month raging against the whole situation, and then all of August recovering my sanity. A couple more months in, and now it makes a lot of sense. But sometimes you just have to work through the stages of grief.
                              One month? Hat tip. It took me about half a decade to reach acceptance. Really wish I'd learned to let go of resentment earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X