Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Oh how we've grown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh how we've grown.

I'm grateful that when my parents leave after a week long stay, I am sad but not devastated. After a year of living away from them, I feel like we have a life here. I miss them terribly, but I know that my little family is doing just fine. We are making our own life here with our own traditions. Our neighborhood now takes on a familiar feel. I am comforted by our schedules and routines. It sounds silly for taking pride in our independence, but I feel more accomplished somehow. We really are making it on our own.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I really like this post. Having just moved last week, I am not yet at the point of having schedules and routines to take comfort in. My mom left on Sunday- it was pretty closeto devastating. Your post helped me to remember that it will get better and that establishing those routines and schedules will help a great deal. I think it'll still be hard each time my mom comes to visit then has to leave, but hopefully I'll reach the point that you have where it isn't quite SO hard.

Thanks for posting that message!

Wendy

Comment

Wendy,

You are going to do great. Seriously, I'm such a wimp, and this move has made me into some warrior woman or something. I'm stronger than I thought I was.

Michigan is beautiful, I hear. I'm half Ohioan/half Kentucky-ian (words????), so my family would probably disown me for admitting this.

Where do you hail from originally? I think that I remember you saying something about the East coast at some point. It is kind of funny because before we matched here, I used to confuse the geography of Wisconsin and Minnesota, which apparently is a big deal.

I know that we will have at least two more big moves. Sean plans/hopes to get a peds fellowship and Minnesota doesn't offer one. I'm hoping that I'll accept change a little better by then. (HA!)

Seriously, my mom is my rock too. I miss her so much and realize how lucky I am to have her. She makes me crazy at times (read the post about visitors dictating grocery lists), but she is a wonderful friend and parent. Honestly, she was so strong that I didn't have to be. But now, in the spirit of Twin Citian Mary Tyler Moore, I'm going to make it on my own.... And you will too. Sing with me....

(Sorry for the cheese. I'm in a silly mood this morning. I didn't get a lot of sleep because the baby was up last night.)
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Wendy- I know your surroundings don't seem familiar right now. I envy you because Michigan is a great place to explore. Most resident migrate to the northern parts in the summer because there is so much to do as far as camping and outdoor recreation. I recommend that you visit places (when you find the time) like Mackinaw Island, Traverse City, Charelvoix and Petosky. They are wonderful.

Jennifer
        Needs

Comment

Wendy,

I would give anything to go to Mackinaw Island. Have you ever seen the movie "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour? One of the most romantic love stories.

Jory & I got married in November and I'm still waiting for a honeymoon. I'm holding out for Mackinaw Island.

Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm so glad I found this board! You girls have provided exactly the kind of encouragement that I have been needed to get through this tough time.

My mom has called me about every other day since we've been here. She, of course, is worried about being a pest, where I look forward to her phone calls. I'm getting to the point that I don't feel the need to cry to her when I talk to her. Actually, my general mood has stabilized a great deal & I've gone several days without feeling the need to cry over something! (Isn't it funny the things that we celebrate?!)

Kelly- you asked where I hail from originally. I grew up in Little Rock, AR, then moved to Dallas 2 weeks after I graduated from college. Lived there 5 years, then to Northeast Missouri for Dave to go to school. Now Michigan. Talk about culture shock each time. I suppose that exposing ourselves to new situations and environments does make us grow as a person. You're right about the warrior woman feeling. The ability to dismantle, then reassemble your life with minimal amounts of help form your spouse does kind of empower you- even if you flounder a little along the way as I have done. My husband also wants to do a peds fellowship. Fortunately, he's interested in the residency and fellowship in Ann Arbor, which would only mean about a 90 mile move instead of an 800 mile move!

Luanne & Jennifer- Everyone keeps mentioning Mackinaw Island to us. I think it would be around 3-4 hours drive from where we are. Dave has a rural FP rotation in Tawas (sp?) City, which would probably only be an hour or so away, so that might be a good opportunity to go. Where we are in is kind of a valley, so it isn't terribly remarkable, but it is getting a little greener since we've had rain this week & there are LOTS of beautiful spruce trees. It is growing on me. I'll have to look up the cities you guys have mentioned as weekend trips.

Keep pushing for that honeymoon Luanne! There's nothing like a romantic vacation to remind you of why you deal with all the difficulties of a medical spouse!

THANK YOU GIRLS!

Wendy

Comment

Wendy,

Aren't mothers wonderful? I could have never gotten through all of the changes over the last few years without my mom! This should be our reminder to send our moms a card!

I have moved quite a bit over the years. My dad was in the military and then Thomas and I have made several major moves over the last few years....and all I can say is that at the end of the day, this is part of what makes residency such a neat adventure. It isn't easy to pack up and move, but I think that it builds inner strength and creates some really fun memories. It doesnt' usually seem like it when you are going through it though. We have a photo album for each place that we have lived and we have added some interesting narrations to remind us of the "adventures" that we had while we were living there.

The daytrips are a great idea...It's so much fun to explore little towns that you haven't been to yet. You'll have to keep everyone posted on your trip to Mackinaw Island...

I'm really glad to hear that this transition is going so smoothly for you now!

Kris

Comment

Working...
              X