Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Newbie - recently married, moved cross country, in a new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - recently married, moved cross country, in a new job

Hi imsn ladies,

First off I just want to say what a huge relief it is to find a forum such as this one. I have been looking for a place like this for the longest time, but I guess I wasn't entering the right keywords when doing a search... until fairly recently. I have previously been on a wedding board while planning my wedding, but found that no one really knew exactly or could appreciate what I was going through (besides planning a wedding).

The past couple years have been a whirlwind where I uprooted myself from sunny So Cal and move across the country to rural West Virginia to help support my then fiance through medical school. I never once regretted my decision in moving to WV to be with my FI, however it did come at a cost of sacrificing my career and moving far, far away from my friends and family. The decision itself, needless to say, shocked many people as I was thought as one never to move or sacrifice anything for anyone or move to West Virginia for that matter.

During time there, I struggled through many obstacles. On a personal level, I suffered immense depression after realizing the enormity of my decision and how much I left behind. So much so, that did not step out of our apartment for literally 3 months. I have not admit this to many people, however, I feel somewhat comfortable to share this with you all in hopes that this particular group can somewhat understand or make sense of why I did this. I'm still trying to make sense of it to this day because it was truly out of my character.

On a professional level (or lack thereof), I faced the worst discrimination I have ever encountered in my life. I came from a place where I had many options and job offers to another where I was turn away bc of my nationality. I believe that was, in part, another reason that contributed to my depression. I eventually found myself re-prioritizing the things I thought were important in my life. FI became my center focus, as much as I strived for a balance, it was just not possible as I lived in the middle of nowhere! I can go on and on about my time there, but alas, I would hate to bore. The situation did eventually get better towards the end, but I never got use to living there. It was a great experience, good or bad, in which contributed to my personal growth and made our bond stronger.

Now we are past that enormous mountain that entails the following (these were huge changes and shifts in just past few months):

1) Planned our wedding by myself across country.
    2) Helped with residency application, arranged and prepped FI for interviews, MATCHED in So Cal but had to help with scrambling for pre-lim year bc FI thought it was fine just applying to two pre-lims. UGH. Thankfully, matched in So Cal in the same school. Whew.
    2) Relationship survived through medical school.
    3) Flew back to CA month before the wedding to finish planning like a mad woman.
    4) Flew back to WV the two weeks before the wedding for FI's graduation.
    5) Finished packing our apartment and moved everything across country within the week of our wedding.
    6) Got MARRRIED. (Two months ago). w00t! w00t!
    7) Went on HM for a week in MX.
    8) Hubby started med school a week after HM.
    9) Got a new job, started less than a month ago.
    10) We both finally have income coming in to start paying off loans, etc. etc. HUGE relief.

Now, I find myself reestablishing my identity, a bit lost and confused as to what I want to do with my life, and gaining back the independence and confidence I lost along the way during these past yrs. I also find myself at times lonely because hubby is working crazy hrs. It is very difficult to find time to spend time together as we are still newly weds. I guess the only consolation is that I do have a job that requires some insane hours. Nevertheless, I miss my husband.

I also feel quite isolated from my friends as they do not know what it's like to be a "doctor's wife". They have some preconcieved notion that I'm sure majority of the general public has. But I find it difficult to explain to them that it's not what it is all cut out to be. They don't understand that I'm lonely, that I have very limited time with my husband, that there may never be couple's night, that I get very hurt when I tell them that hubby can't go but I can, and then get uninvited, that on a regular day, hubby comes home, I feed him and put him to bed... Ok whew, got that all off my chest.

All in all, I love my husband very much and love being married. I know this will all come with a lot of patience and time. It's not going to be easy, but I'm comforted that I found a place that I can finally relate to and that can relate to me.

Yup-

you found us.

and with what you've been through it sounds like intern year won't be that bad in comparison.

I grew up in DC. We made fun of West Virginia the way that SoCal makes fun of- well, I don't know- pretty much the rest of the US?

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
      Yup-

you found us.

and with what you've been through it sounds like intern year won't be that bad in comparison.

I grew up in DC. We made fun of West Virginia the way that SoCal makes fun of- well, I don't know- pretty much the rest of the US?

Jenn
      Thanks! Yeah, I keep telling myself that... if we made it through all that, we surely can make it through first year of residency.

Comment

Welcome, Jem!

Glad you finally found this group!

I can relate to just about everything you wrote on some level. You have come to the right place for support.

It sounds as if you're at least in a better location now, no? It is so much easier to deal with the baggage that comes with residency/fellowship if you're comfortable in your surroundings and you have a support network. It does take time for both of you to adjust to the long work hours. It will help that you're working. Hang in there!

Comment

Welcome indeed You have come to the right place!
          Danielle
          Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Welcome - DCJenn is right a lot of us have been there, done that! I moved from KS to CA to MN with my husband very much like your story with my job, etc. You'll find your groove and it will get better.

We're all here for each other that is the great thing about this community.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We moved from CA to MO to KS. I continue to long for CA and was pretty crushed when we didn't macth out west. What specialty is your DH in? Welcome, there are plenty of people here you share your same story.

Comment

welcome. glad you found us. you have certainly been busy. too bad you didnt stick around in WV a bit longer. im here....so lucky for me.

west virgina...where the stereotypes live on.

where its not uncommon to hear, "gee doctor i dont know who the father of my baby is. it could be my father, brother, uncle or cousin."

(totally serious btw) dh has the greatest stories.

gawd help me, my kids speak with a southern accent before we get out of here. i may be forced to beat it out of them...or take them to a SLP.

sorry to welcome, looking forward to knowing you better.
                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

welcome - as you continue to post you'll see you're in good company.

Comment

Hi and Welcome!! I can relate to quite a bit...you are definitely at the right place to find understanding. Good to have you here.

Comment

Welcome!

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

:hey:

Comment

Welcome! You're in good company here. :hey:

Many of us have been uprooted from our home-cities for either medical school, residency, practice, or some combination of those.

Comment

You are definitely not alone! Welcome...

Jennifer
                            Needs

Comment

Hi and welcome!

There are lots and lots of people who can relate here. I was also on a very mainstream wedding planning board when planning my wedding. Then I was on a board for pregnant women where everyone else's DH took time off work for appts and such, and mine never did. You are right - people definitely have preconceived notions of what it's like to be the spouse of a Dr. and they couldn't be further from the truth.

There is also an online magazine linked to the main site here that I had a subscription to in the beginning of residency. You may want to check into that as it really helped me understand how to deal with current situations, what to expect in the future, and a reminder that other people are dealing with our 'lifestyle' each day too.

I got married around the same time as my friend and it was really hard in the beginning to hear how her and her DH were taking weekend trips, seeing Broadway shoes, going out to dinner in the city, and meanwhile, I was home alone eating pizza that night, or home with a DH who had a 9pm bedtime. The best advice I ever got was to figure out what works for you guys and don't compare your relationship to anyone else's. People tried to offer me advice but since they were not living my life, it was of no help and just made me feel worse. As time went by, we figured out things that work best for us. The one I got slammed for the most (by well meaning friends) was that we found that sleeping in separate rooms worked good for us since we have conflicting schedules and both need our uninteruppted sleep. Everyone told me how bad it would be for my marriage. Ok, whatever. Two years later in separate bedrooms, we are doing great.

Also, you obviously should know this since you went through med school already, but you really have to have alot of independence and make sure that you make your own friends and go enjoy activities and hobbies for yourself. You're right that he can't be the center of your world (unless you are a patient of course!).

Hang in there, try not to stress, and let time help you figure some things out.

Congrats on your recent marriage as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X