Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Resident spouse: THANK GOD I FOUND YOU!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident spouse: THANK GOD I FOUND YOU!!!

Hello there,

He graduated from med school June 2, we got married June 3, put the cat in the car and left Southern California June 10, and arrived in Detroit June 15.

It was a little bit stressful.

DH (3 months, 12 days!) is PGY1 in Emergency Medicine. He did med school as a career change, so he's older than his fellow interns. I'm older than the interns but younger than him. We actually like Detroit pretty well, believe it or not; we're contemplating moving from the 'burbs to the med center area, if/when we can get out of the lease we're in now.

I'm a pianist and composer. After a few years of teaching and taking any gig I could find to pay the rent in Southern Calif., I'm very happy to be here, where the lower cost of living allows me to pursue my own not-yet-lucrative music projects without the hassle of a day job. I'm very fortunate and grateful that DH is as passionate about my music as I am, and willing to support me on resident salary.

I think residency is going well for him. He says he hates feeling stupid, and like a newbie, but from the conversations I've had with other interns, it's clear that his experience is very much the norm. The hours can be brutal of course (esp. when he was on !@#$% OB-GYN rotation last month -- where a 12-hour shift really lasts 15 hours, and a day off is really a half-day of work), but then he'll have 4 days off in a row once a month or so, which is nice.

So what's not to like? :P

Well, he's on night shift this week, so our main interaction consists of me watching him sleep, followed by the mad rush to get him up, fed dinner, and out the door. We only have one car, so I either have to take him to work and pick him up later -- it's a 16-mile drive each way, and since it's unpredictable when he actually gets off, I end up waiting in the hospital or wandering the streets nearby waiting when I pick him up... or I'm stuck at home in suburbia with not much to walk to. (Kmart or Starbuck's, whoop-de-frickin'-do!) At least night shift has the upside that I can use the car during the day.

I really need to get more of my own life outside this apartment; he wants to get a 2nd car for me but I don't really feel we can afford it...and public transit is crap here. Some days I feel incredibly lucky and happy: I'm married to a wonderful man, a doctor, who supports me as I pursue my dream, and I get to work at home, writing music in my pajamas! Other days I'm resentful and depressed: I dropped everything to move across the country so I could be stranded in a suburban wasteland while my husband works til he collapses!

Sometimes it helps to think that residency is only 3 years, and we'll at least be able to afford that 2nd car once he's done. But that's a ways off.

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to meeting you all!

Re: Resident spouse: THANK GOD I FOUND YOU!!!

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like you found us just in time. We are a great group of spouses in every phase of medicine you will ever encounter.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

:hey:
      We moved from West Bloomfield to PHX almost 3 years ago.
      We miss Detroit. DH did hid residency,and fellowships there!

Welcome aboard...post often!

Comment

I have a really good friend in Detroit who is an art teacher and photographer. Let me know if you'd like to meet her. I don't know if you have any friends there, so it would probably help.

Welcome.

Comment

welcome! glad you found us...post often
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Welcome!
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

pinkpickles, was your DH at DMC? That's where mine is.

Stella, yes, I'd love to meet your friend the artist. Thanks!

Comment

PM me your contact info and I'll forward it on to here.

She's here: http://www.artsyt.com.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome. We are 6 years out of residency in EM and are a few hours south of you in Columbus. I know its hectic now but EM is really worth it.

Comment

Welcome!

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

from another EM spouse. Or at least I will be once we get intern year over with. Glad you found us.

Comment

Originally posted by trisha2486
                          Welcome. We are 6 years out of residency in EM and are a few hours south of you in Columbus. I know its hectic now but EM is really worth it.
                          trisha2486 -- what's it like out of residency? One of his reasons for choosing EM was that the hours were a bit less crazy than other specialties (like OB-GYN which he had been planning to do at one point) and that there's more room for a life outside of work. I'm not really seeing that yet! :P But when you switch departments each month, you're always a bit disoriented and not quite at home.

Comment

Originally posted by bugs
                            from another EM spouse. Or at least I will be once we get intern year over with. Glad you found us.
                            Thanks, bugs! I imagine it's a challenge being pregnant during this time!

Comment

Originally posted by virgomusic
                              Originally posted by trisha2486
                              trisha2486 -- what's it like out of residency? One of his reasons for choosing EM was that the hours were a bit less crazy than other specialties (like OB-GYN which he had been planning to do at one point) and that there's more room for a life outside of work. I'm not really seeing that yet! :P But when you switch departments each month, you're always a bit disoriented and not quite at home.
                              Take the average EM rotation month. Take out all the meetings, Journal Club, House call, and BS or residency. Drop the hours by about 4-5 shifts
                              each month and actually be making money. Is he at a busy ER? Is it metro? That's level 1 isn't it? He will be ready for anything if he can conquer that. DH is on call 1-2 times a month. In the 6 years he has been called in less than 10 times. He is at 2 hospitals: Grant and Riverside.
                              Believe me, it does get better.

Comment

Working...
                              X