Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

greetings all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greetings all!

i am so thrilled to find this forum!

my husband ben is a 2nd year at George Washington Univ in Washington, DC. i'm thrilled that he's found a career path that fulfills him ... but the path has been pretty challenging for our marriage.

the main problem for me: loneliness.
    solution: co-housing.

we just moved into a big old farmhouse (which, with DC sprawl, is now located in the city center) with two other married couples. both of the other wives are pregnant; one of the other husbands is also a full-time international development grad school student. one family has a toddler; another has a husky dog ... so it's pretty wild!! but so far, it's better than being lonely in a basement apartment.

i've started a blog about med school, co-housing, art, literature, life, etc., and i'm wondering if there are any other med school spouse bloggers out there?

i look forward to meeting all of you.

very warmly,

laura
    http://www.oakies.wordpress.com

Re: greetings all!

Hi & Welcome! Co-housing sure is a cure for med spouse lonliness...I'll check out your blog! Again

Comment

Welcome! What an interesting set up...feel free to "use us" as shoulders to cry on/friends to lean on/people to vent to that have been there done that (or are there doing it!), it does wonders.

Glad that you found us.

Comment

Welcome and post often. What a great solution for housing.

Comment

Welcome.

We have a TON of people in DC. OK, maybe 4. But its better than none at all!

I'm pretty sure that some are even at GWU.

Where are you living? Rockville? Bethesda? Arlington? (there are no farmhouses in the city, are there?)

I'm called DCJenn because I'm one of the few people who actually grew up in the DC area. (born at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring!)

Jenn

Comment

Welcome!

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

thank you all so much for your kind replies! i really appreciate it.

DCJenn, to answer your question: we are living in the first house built in the mount pleasant neighborhood. so it used to be a farmhouse (like 100 years ago); now, it's still got a big yard, but it's surrounded by row houses. we're about a 10 min walk from the columbia heights metro stop.

oceanchild, glad to know your husband is also at GW! are there any ongoing GW med significant others activities?

best,

laura

Comment

Whew...

I was thinking, "where in the hell is there enough yard to be called a farmhouse?"

Mt. Pleasant=FUN.

Jenn

Comment

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Welcome, gald you found us.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome to the site!
                      Your housing situation sounds fun.

Comment

Oh my gosh! That sounds like living back in the dorms in college except with "grown ups"!! LOL! How cool! I have a friend (med student spouse) that is also living in with her child and two other students. I didn't know it could work, but apparently there are folks like you and my friend making it work! Welcome to the group and I can't wait to read your blog.

Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by oakies
                          and i'm wondering if there are any other med school spouse bloggers out there?

i look forward to meeting all of you.

very warmly,

laura
                          I sometimes blog on my myspace page, but I have a few friends that have really great med school spouse blogs. PM and I'd be happy to share the link with ya.
                          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Welcome! Interesting living arrangements! I'm all for anything that combats loneliness!

Comment

Working...
                            X