Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Starting a Spouse Group in Residency any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a Spouse Group in Residency any tips?

Hello! I am new here. I am trying to start a spouses support group within my husbands residency program. So far, we have met with the program director, and he okayed for monies to be in the budget next year for our needs. Besides that, I need some ideas or support from those of you who might have gone through the same....

Re: Starting a Spouse Group in Residency any tips?

Hi!
    Welcome! That's awesome that you got the PD to free up some money!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Not sure if your program has both male and female spouses/SOs. If so, I would say to make sure that activities/support are geared towards all - not just the female spouses/SOs. This is one reason why I do not belong to the medical spouse support group. All is geared towards new and/or SAHMs.

I have planned "wellness" retreats for the residents and their families and have included topics on resident burn-out, medical marriage, nutrition, financial, physical/emotional/spiritual health to name a few.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Welcome, glad you found us and good luck with your program!!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I didn't participate with the spouses group in residency because EVERY meeting was held at 11am on a Tuesday at La Madeline. I was working full-time and not exactly able to drive across town for a French Onion soup and a glass of wine.

Good luck- and welcome to iMSN!

Jenn

Comment

We have an excellent group here, there are activities for those with and without kids. Lots of different interests, etc.
            http://www.mayofams.org/

Welcome and good luck!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Wow!! Thanks to all of you for such great responses and ideas! I really needed that feedback! We do plan to include the male spouses as well as the female residents. Some of the female residents, especially in a surgery program feel kind of left out already and plus they are great friends to my self and other wives. Now my husband and I do not have any children yet (heard the best year for that is PGY-4-he is currently PGY-2) so I would really like to get all of this up and running before then. I do have a partner in my quest, she is a Super-Mom, so she has the playgroups and such organized. The retreat idea is an awesome one! And, I had the same problem as well with the 11am meetings to eat soup and drink, I too was unavail. , that, I will mention was the program's pathetic way of starting a spouse's club. Thanks also for the website, I will check it. And I will definitely add MS.com too our welcome packets for incoming residents!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X