Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hello from Maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Maine

Hello - I'm new to the website and wanted to introduce myself. I am Betsey, a spouse of a first year osteopathic medical student. I am hoping to hear that life improves over the next few months/years. This transition has been brutal for me! If you have time, I would appreciate any morsels of encouragement! Thanks

Hi Betsey,

Welcome from another Nordic state: Minnesota! We should talk about hockey, sledding, and snowmobiling sometime. I'm relatively new to these climes, so I would love some insight as to embracing winter!

But anyway, here is a nugget of hope regarding life with a physician: It does get better in certain aspects, but new challenges creep up. O.K. I'm not exactly Suzy sunshine, but I promise, this life is doable!

Keep your chin up!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Hi Betsey!

There are a number of people who are experiencing the same things you are. So, Come on down to the other sections and get to know them.

Do things get better? Yes, they do. But- you have a long, long path ahead of you before they do. So, hold on tight and we'll be here for you.

Welcome-

Jenn

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you both for your nice words! I can tell this website is going to be a wonderful lifeline for me. Yes, I'll look into the other forums to get some more insight.

Thanks again,
        Betsey

Comment

Betsey

Welcome to the group....we have people here in all phases of the medical training...adventure , so I think that you'll find plenty of encouraging words.....

We've been out of training now for a little over a year, and I'm hear to tell you that it DOES get better....hang in there...that initial adjustment is really tough. Do you have family or friends nearby? Are you working right now?

Kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Hi Betsey-

Welcome! My bf is a first-year med student as well. And I'll agree with you that the adjustment has been difficult. What helps me is to remind myself that finding love is extremely difficult and so working out the kinks in the relationship is all the more worth it. I also remember that it's on both of us (although it doesn't always feel like it is). So we're adjusting together and although the challenges we each face are different...it's a journey we're taking together.

The other big thing that helps me is my friends! and this board!

Hang in there...

Sharon

Comment

Hi Betsey!

I'm Jill. First of all, I love Maine! Where are you living? We spent a week in Maine over the summer, in Bar Harbor and Scarborough. We are thinking of moving there when my husband is finished with his ID fellowship in 2-1/2 years.

You do have a long road ahead but it does get easier to deal with...plan special nights together and things to look forward to...you will get through it!

Comment

Hi Betsey,

My boyfriend is also in his first year, and I too have struggled with the transition. What helps me is

A) Reading other people's experiences on this board

B) Talking to him at carefully chosen times (i.e. not right before he has a test)

C) Talking to others about it. Tell us how it's been brutal, and I almost guarantee you'll feel at least a little bit better.

Hang in there. Looking forward to getting to know you more.

Julie
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

welcome

Hi Betsey-

I live in NH, we are neighbors! I was beginning to think I was the only New Englander on the site! In fact, we moved here from Maine 1 1/2 years ago when my husband finished his residency at Maine Medical Center. I LOVE and MISS Maine so much! We lived on the marsh in Scarborough, it was great. And Portland is so much fun. You must be in Biddeford at UNE? What a nice area that is, too.

This is a great site. Although I have not spent as much time as I's like reading and posting messages, I feel like this is a place I can go where I am understood, which is great for me, none of my friends here have medical spouses. Even reading posts about issues that you, too, are dealing with helps. At least you know there are others out there going through the same thing. It is a long road you have ahead, but it does get easier, just hang in there! A good, solid, loving relationship, AND having your own life outside of the medical world helps.

If you ever spend any time in Portsmouth, we should get together!

Anyway-Welcome!!

Renee

Comment

Hi Betsey,
                    Welcome to the roller coaster. We are in Princeton, NJ and in private practice, but the crazy hours are the same for us. My husband is in a solo practice, so little coverage, and I am a nurse. I look forward to getting to know you.
                    Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                    X