Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thoroughly Confused and Somewhat Disheartened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoroughly Confused and Somewhat Disheartened

Hi,
    I wanted to introduce myself. I just moved to a Boston with my husband. I am an attorney and he is an intern in Internal Medicine. Like everyone else, I am frustrated with residency and feeling more isolated than normal. But, for me the big problem seems to be that my husband's training has brought up a ton of questions for me about what I want in life, job happiness, family, etc. I think part of this stems from having endless time alone to reflect.

I think the other part of my confusion is that medical training has really changed the dynamics of our relationship. I hope this doesn't sound obnoxious, but in our relationship I was used to being the more achievement-oriented one. I was always a top student when we were in school; then went to a big law firm and now that I am working I support us and probably make more money than many if not most doctors will ever see (though we are still struggling with our myriad student debts which makes me wonder in horror about how much money a couple actually needs today to be comfortable!).

Part of me has been very happy to see my husband come into his own and have more confidence. The other part of me feels frustrated that our lives are so consumed by his training - - especially because I have come to the depressing and somewhat late realization that I really dislike my career path. Life at huge law firms is difficult - - long hours, minimal job security, and frequently very tedious work. We don't have any children and don't plan to for a while so I don't really have the option of refocusing my energy on family. Now, I am feeling like I don't have the financial or logistical or even emotional flexiblity in our relationship to contemplate a career change - - we are just so exhausted as it is.

On a positive note, I have to say that while my husband and I have had our stresses (the third year of medical school was really a low point), things are going really well in our relationship overall despite intern year. My husband tried to choose a residency, and is now thinking about a specialty, with an eye towards balancing home and work and has always made it clear that I am his first priority. During my one major breakdown about his schedule, he even looked into switching to radiology though I know his first love is internal medicine. This is not to say he hasn't been moody and difficult at times but he has done everything he can to ease the transition to a new city - - looking for cooking classes for me, trying to get phone numbers of his female friends from college that have moved to the city, and even leaving me encouraging notes in the morning. Sometimes I don't know how I found this man because I put so much energy into my career (which I consider a total flop) and virtually none into finding a significant other (which just happened and has worked out so well). We met when I was nineteen and have been together 9 years.

At any rate, I guess the main issue for me now is that I can't figure out what I want to do. I do know I want more human interaction in my job as well as intellectual challenge. One thought is moving to college or law school teaching but that requires alot of geographic flexiblity and the ability to take a huge pay cut. I have also thought about medical school off and on since college. My husband is fully supportive of whatever I decide and I don't mind the years of sacrifice during schooling, but what concerns me is that most doctors don't seem to have good or even decent schedules even once they finish fellowship, residency, etc. What I don't want to do is retrain in another field and end up with the same lousy hours that have caused me to dislike my current field. Does anyone whose spouse is in practice or with friends in practice have any insight on this?

Well, if any of you have any insight into 1) making a major career change; 2) post-training schedules in medicine; or 3) just dealing with a spouse that is almost annoyingly satisfied in his job, please drop a note!

I went through something similar after being in my chosen field for only 3 years. I was stressed out, unhappy, and unfulfilled at work, and now that I think about it, my husband was an intern as well. Anyhow, we didn't have kids yet, I knew I couldn't go back to school at that point, but I had to do something. I decided to go to a career counselor. I shopped hard for someone I clicked with (funny, since when I went to a therapist for other issues I randomly picked someone) and finally settled on one. She had me take tests, do worksheets, and we did a lot of one on one counseling until I finally felt like I had some clear direction in my life. Once I decided what I wanted to do with my life, I found out I was pregnant, so I ended up staying home with our kids, so I didn't get to put any of my plans into action. I put all of that on the back burner, but I will probably pursue something in that direction once my kids are older. Even still, I felt so much better doing something constructive towards reaching my goals, instead of just going to work everyday without any prospects for change. Good luck with whatever you decide to do career-wise and welcome to the boards!!!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Hi Violet!

I wholeheartedly concur with the career counselor idea. I did that when I was totally burnt out and had no idea what I wanted to do (but had already invested 8+ years in my field, including a Master's Degree!).

I also took some assessment tests, some personality tests etc. It basically pointed me to the direction I have gone since- and it made it OK for me to hate certain aspects of my jobs- I have always hated those parts and will always hate those parts. (For example- I really like to come in, figure out the disaster, fix things and then I get soooooo bored- I thrive on crisis! So, that means I either have to change jobs or change job tasks- often!)

There are a ton of opportunities in the legal profession (as I'm sure you know!) Kelly is our other resident lawyer so you guys should have lots to chat about. Come find us often in the employment area!

Jenn

Comment

Welcome Violet,I'm so sorry you are feeling such stress. I like the idea of a career counselor, I know people who have used them with great success.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Hi, Violet!

Welcome to the boards. Hang in there. We're here to support you!

I got into law school about five years ago, and then decided not to go. Why? I just wasn't sure I was going to be happy being a lawyer when I got done. I eventually did go to another grad school program for which I was much better suited. But still, part of me always wonders what might have happened if I HAD gone to law school? I think that second-guessing our career choices is completely natural.

Sometimes, it's a matter of looking at it from a different view, though. Have you ever stepped back to wonder how you might be able to use your legal training in a job that is more personally fulfilling to you? For example, I once worked for a non-profit health care company. Our director was a woman who had been a high-powered attorney, working long hours and rarely seeing her family; she decided she'd rather work for less money but for something more personally fulfilling. Having her legal expertise was a huge boon for the non-profit, too. Newsletters and magazines often need legal consultants--and many of the people who do this aren't even full-time consultants for just that one publication. A career counselor might help you refocus, to see what you can do with your training to bring yourself more personal satisfaction.

It's tough to live in a new city with a husband who's a resident, isn't it? Don't give up on finding other things in life to make you happy. It's easy to fall into the belief that we are our jobs. But maybe that's not always a good thing to believe. Take that cooking class, or that karate class, or whatever, just for the heck of it. Boston has a lot to offer. But I know that it's hard. Feel free to message me, if you'd like to; we're about the same age, and my husband is a third-year, while I'm a professional.

Comment

Violet,

Welcome to the boards. After practicing for three years, I can honestly say that I don't know to many happy lawyers. For that matter, I don't know a ton of happy, well balanced surgeons. As far as jumping ship....I have these thoughts as well. But then I honestly can't imagine taking out one more red cent in student loans and since my Swiss bank account and trust fund are all empty (completely kidding--daddy was a truck driver)...I'm married to my profession.

Have you thought about stepping off the corporate ladder and going into public interest law. I have a friend who works three days a week at a prestigious law firm, one day a week for a not-for-profit, and enjoys a three day weekend with her kids. While she is a bright, articulate woman, she also has the benefit of a is very well connected family. But, with that being said, perhaps you should try some other options within the field.

Anyway, cheers and welcome aboard.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
            X