Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Intro plus vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intro plus vent

Welcome!!! I understand your need to vent, medicine is such a hard field for the spouse. It seems like I adjust to one hard thing only for it to be replaced with another. It will be over one day and all the hardships will make you appreciate everything even more, atleast I hope, I am still not there yet myself. What location are you wanting to match in??

Comment

Jetgal you said it, the constant adjustments can be wearing. Dh just applied to roughly 45 programs all down both coasts. I think that I would like to stay in Philly. I have been here for a few years now, I like the city, I know it well, it is a great city for my profession and I like the location. Dh's family is Miami and mine is very close it would good to have the support system of family members and old friends during residency but I am not that crazy about the city and the program seems very intense with Jackson being the major trauma hospital for the whole city. In Philly there are 4 or 5 level one trauma hospitals so it gets a little more spread out. DH would LOVE to move to California. I am pretty open to moving most places, I made sure to remove any place from the application list that I would be miserable in. I can't wait to know where we are going!

Comment

Welcome!

It's a long, hard road, but trust me, we ALL get it here. I can't tell you how many people (my very own dawkter husband included) just think 'oh, how special that you get to vent to a bunch of people who are also married to dawkters.'

But...(and this is just for me) in reverse order:

Fluffhead and I bonded (suffered?) waiting for our spouses neurology board results together (well, he's in the NE and I'm in Texas, but trust me, we were hanging on a string together/separately)

ALL of the military medical spouses (and everyone else here for that matter) got me through the deployment.

We've moved 7 times in 8 years and where do I go first to post tips and tirades? here.

We went through a very convoluted international adoption and without this gang to talk me off the ceiling, I am 99% sure I'd be childless, rocking in the loony bin.

Fellowship (sucks!), residency (sucks), intern year (sucks balls)- it was this group that made it possible.

so, welcome. We will stick with you whenever you need us.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by sstreet
          DH would LOVE to move to California.
          Any thing is possible but I wouldn't get your hopes too set on this. We are from California and DH did two aways out west, one in CA AND had a publication (among many others) in a peds ortho journal from research that he did at CHLA. I wanted to go back home so badly, so I was pretty devastated when we didn't. West coast ortho is hard to crack into especially if you didn't go to med school out there. Not meaning to be a "party pooper" I just wish someone would have prepped me for the possible devastation that is called the ortho match. Good luck!

Comment

I want to thank you all. This was a minor issue and it is great to know that there is a community out there for when things are really tough. You ladies inspire me, we are just starting this process and it is great to have your wisdom to pull from. Will make sure to post an update after this weekend visiting him. Have a good week!

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan
              DH would LOVE to move to California.
              Any thing is possible but I wouldn't get your hopes too set on this. We are from California and DH did two aways out west, one in CA AND had a publication (among many others) in a peds ortho journal from research that he did at CHLA. I wanted to go back home so badly, so I was pretty devastated when we didn't. West coast ortho is hard to crack into especially if you didn't go to med school out there. Not meaning to be a "party pooper" I just wish someone would have prepped me for the possible devastation that is called the ortho match. Good luck!

That really sucks that it didn't work out for you guys. When all is said and done CA will probably be pretty low on the list for us once everything else is taken into consideration ... We have a friend that matched Ortho out in CA, I think that it was got DH's mind ticking. CA is such an insular place when it comes to med schools and residency, almost like another world. Not going to lie, being in CA would be awesome but as of right now it is only a day dream...

Comment

I guess it bothers me so much because I know that this is just the beginning and that I am going to feel like this countless times and that when we have kids him not being home is going to be so much more frustrating and that there is nothing that I can do about it.
                I definately share those feelings, its hard but I try not to get angry about him not being there for your unborn children..... .....i try to only get mad at him for crimes he is actually able to committ at this point

Comment

Ha ha. So true. It is amazing the places your mind goes when you are steaming mad.

Comment

Working...
                  X