Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie

Hi!

I hate writing intros, but here goes.
    I'm a 32 year old homeschooling mother of 3 (6, 4, 2). Oh yeah...and I'm the wife to a 3rd year medical student who was on his way to being a biology teacher when we got married. And I don't feel quite as "lucky" as people tell me I should.

In 7 1/2 years we've had about as many stressors as you can pile on a marriage: including (But not limited to) moving 7 times (thanks to education and army), a child diagnosed with cancer (in the same month dh was accepted to medical school), and starting medical school.

Reading the little I have on this forum I'm relieved to see that marriages can and do survive medical training. There are days I've been sure I'm the only person who has so many frustrating days :badday:

It isn't all bad, though. Well, truth be told...I feel something like this:
    Really proud of dh
    Really irritated at dh
    Really overwhelmed with my life
    Really empowered by my life
    Really in love with my dh
    Really wondering how I ever got married to this selfish jerk in the first place
    Really excited for the future
    Really terrified of the future
    ...And all that just since lunch

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and having a place to maybe say it like it is

Re: Another Newbie

It sounds like you'll fit right in with us! My DH is also a 3rd year med student, and often times I wish he was a biology teacher!

I'm so sorry to hear about your child with cancer. How is he/she doing?
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Welcome, this is a great and supportive group. Hang in there!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It isn't all bad, though. Well, truth be told...I feel something like this:
        Really proud of dh
        Really irritated at dh
        Really overwhelmed with my life
        Really empowered by my life
        Really in love with my dh
        Really wondering how I ever got married to this selfish jerk in the first place
        Really excited for the future
        Really terrified of the future
        ...And all that just since lunch
        So you're saying this might not be normal? Huh. I feel all of these things all the time. Welcome aboard.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

...I should have mentioned that DS (age 6) is doing great now. He had 2 years of treatment for leukemia (ALL, standard risk, with some CNS disease but no radiation---for those hem/onc junkies out there), but he is now over a year off treatment. We have every reason to rest assured he will not relapse, but a 10-15% chance is still a little too high for me... Thank you for asking, Charlene!

Leslie

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Did your hubby stay with the Army? If so, we have a whole section devoted to the military medical spouse.

In any case, you have found the right place!

Jenn

Comment

Welcome!!

Comment

Yep, I can relate to the range of emotions, from "proud of DH" to "irritated" and the rest of them.

Although I'm one of the relatively newer people here, I've learned that a lot of the members have carried some heavy burdens through med school & residency - in addition to the usual stresses of the training. I'm glad to hear your son is doing well at this point. Stick around and post a lot! This board just got me through our fifth move! I wish I had found it sooner.

Comment

Welcome!! I am glad your son is doing well now.

Comment

Hello hello hello! I am so glad you found us!!

BTW the "Really wondering how I ever got married to this selfish jerk in the first place" line, is my feeling du jour!

Comment

Welcome! Glad you found us!!

I am happy to hear your son is doing well! Post often - this place is a great resource for the MS4 year/preparing for moves/residency/etc.!!
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

So glad you found us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Hi! Welcome! I'm a newbie, too! I'm glad your son is doing better. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for you and your family. I, too, can relate to your mixed emotions. I try so hard to remember that he is doing this for both of us, but sometimes I can't help but feeling like I am making more sacrifices than he is, with less recognition. Then I realize I'm selfish for thinking that, which makes me feel worse! :huh:
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta
                            Hi! Welcome! I'm a newbie, too! I'm glad your son is doing better. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for you and your family. I, too, can relate to your mixed emotions. I try so hard to remember that he is doing this for both of us, but sometimes I can't help but feeling like I am making more sacrifices than he is, with less recognition. Then I realize I'm selfish for thinking that, which makes me feel worse! :huh:

I fail to see how realizing that you are making more sacrifices than he is with less recognition is selfish thinking? It is truth, and we get that. The fact that other people can't see the sacrifices you are making so that the dawkter can live out the dream is a reflection on them and either a lack of empathy or understanding or both, but it is not your failure for feeling that way. You feel that way for a reason. You are making sacrifices.

Welcome all newbies into the hallowed halls of iMSN where you will discover such delights and insights you could have never imagined.
                            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Hello and welcome! My husband started off many moons ago as a teacher, then chiropractor now Internal Medicine doctor. What is it with the teachers??
                              My intro post also mentioned the "lucky" thing because that really chaps my ass. As I wrote then I am lucky because DH is an excellent person - not because of his profession.

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                              I fail to see how realizing that you are making more sacrifices than he is with less recognition is selfish thinking? It is truth, and we get that. The fact that other people can't see the sacrifices you are making so that the dawkter can live out the dream is a reflection on them and either a lack of empathy or understanding or both, but it is not your failure for feeling that way. You feel that way for a reason. You are making sacrifices.
                              totally agree with that - I am "lucky" that DH recognizes that, even if other people don't. I doubt I would hang with all the if he didn't!!

Comment

Working...
                              X