Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

soon-to-be medical spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soon-to-be medical spouse

Hi everyone- I never really thought that I would write into one of these, but everyone here seems to be speaking my language! I am (newly) engaged to a 3rd year medical student. We just moved from Kansas City to Michigan for rotations, and neither of us have any family here. We are just starting to meet people, mostly those he is in school with. We dated for about a year while he did a pathology fellowship before rotations- now we are living together and will get married in those few precious weeks before graduation and the start of residency (April 2004). I am a school psychologist, which means I am home lots by myself in a new city! Not fun at all. I just wanted to say hi and that I am so glad to have found others to make me feel normal. I told my fiance that I had found this forum and he just laughed (he's on call tonight, of course). I told him we were "normal" and just going through the same stresses that others in our situation have gone through. Am I right? Please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Like others have said, there are great days and then there are horrible days. I love him with everything that I have though- so here we go!

Welcome-

It seems you've got the right attitude from the get-go! Yes, it can stink and yes, it will get harder but (at least according to some) there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Feel free to join us in the employment section and others, below!

Jenn

Comment

Welcome to this very strange, sometimes wonderful and sometimes horrible world. We are all here going through the same things here.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome! Where in Michigan are you? My husband (surgical intern, soon-to-be urology resident) is at the U of M and we are living in Ann Arbor right now. We love it here, but of course we're a little biased because we both grew up around here and went to undergrad at U of M.

Being a fairly new member myself, I am also beginning to realize just how "normal" our experience is. I can attest to the fact that this has been a very helpful resource in maintaining my sanity!

~Jane
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the boards! It truely is a wonderful place here because you realize that you are not alone in this experience!
          -Sarah

Comment

Dear psych--

Hang on, the ride has just begun! Seriously, welcome to the medical community, we're with you every step of the way.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

You are totally totally normal! Repeat, ad nauseum!

Third year of medical school is hell. I think that internship is the worst, followed by third year med school. My husband, who is the actual doctor, agrees with this assessment. You are so normal to be feeling the way that you do. But hang in there! Keep an open mind and a sense of humor!

Comment

michigan

We have another member whose husband also was in Kirksville and is now in Michigan..I'll see if I can track her down

Welcome aboard.

kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Hi there! Glad you found this place, people are supportive and provide lots of validation. I am a Michigan native, currently transplanted in Ohio for my husband's neonatology fellowship. He has 6 more months to go!!!! Meanwhile, I am staying at home with our 14 month old daughter, Avery. We are looking for permanently settle down after medical training and unfortunately (to me) Michigan probably won't be the state we will reside.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I would love to pick your brain sometime because I am considering returning to school for school psychology. Are you up for a conversation about it?

Glad to meet you and I am looking forward to learning more about you.

Jennifer
                  Needs

Comment

Thanks to everyone who answered me. It's great to see so many people supporting each other in these times. Jennifer- anytime you have any questions about my job and the training feel free to ask! Of course I went to school in Kansas- so there's a little bit of difference in the programs.

psych

Comment

Working...
                    X