Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hello from another new one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from another new one

Hi all,
    I was so happy to find this site! I'm a writer/editor/non-profit worker who's very happily engaged to a fourth-year medical student. But it's fall, which means it's away-rotation and residency application time - and I'm finding it a little stressful. Ok, a lot stressful. I feel like we don't know ANYTHING - who'll interview him, where we'll move, when we'll move, what I'll do for a job, how we'll juggle paying off massive loans -- all kinds of fun. He's going for ER, which is his complete passion, and it's great watching him come home so happy from the hospital when the first two years of med school nearly killed him. But...this is such a crazy-uncertain time. And he's scared his Step I scores will omit him from the running at his top program choices, to boot. Stupid test scores! If anyone has words of wisdom on surviving fourth year, intern year and beyond, feel free to pass 'em along! Again, glad to have found you.

B.

Re: Hello from another new one

Welcome from another person shacked up with a 4th year!

Post often! There are lots of helpful gals (and guys) here with lots of insight and experience about this whole process we're going through. And other 4th year SO/spouses to comiserate with.
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I didn't join the circus until 1st year residency, so no words of advice but a hearty welcome!!

Comment

Welcome!

Lots of helpful things to learn here, stop by often!
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

welcome!

Comment

:hey: Welcome! I have no help for 4th year and beyond, but there's a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Make yourself at home; looking forward to getting to know you!
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Welcome - there are so many parts of this journey that suck and that are stressful which is why we're all here.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

There's plenty of people here who know exactly what you're going through and can offer tons of support. Post often!
                  Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Glad you found this site! I hope you will post often!

Comment

Welcome! My husband is an intern, so we just went through the craziness that is 4th year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to rant!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Welcome!
                        Fourth year was kind of cool. The students have some tough rotations, but they also have a lot of time for research and travel for interviews. Enjoy that! It's the most free time they'll have for a long time. As the year goes on they get senioritis pretty bad too, depending on what rotations they're on too...

The stress of fourth year is that it's kind of like a huge crapshoot. You could wind up practically anywhere, which is kind of liberating and thrilling too. You get to express preferences, in terms of programs applied to, and then in terms of how you rank them before the match, but ultimately you don't actually get to make a choice. My wife was pretty good about including me in the process of figuring out where she would apply to residency programs and how she ranked them when all the interviews were done. I went with her on several of the interview trips too. So when she called me after she opened her little envelope on match day, I was really fine with it--not the best, not the worst, but I had participated and I knew all the outcomes going in.

Comment

Howdy!

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

from another MS4 wife!
                            It is a crazy time with interviews, rotations, etc....perfect time to find this site!

Comment

Working...
                            X