Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hi from army med student girlfriend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from army med student girlfriend

Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site. My boyfriend of 4 years just finished MS2 and is taking Step 1 in two weeks. He goes to USUHS, the military med school in Bethesda, MD, and so he'll owe the Army 7 years after he finishes residency. I already know we're in for a long tough road ahead but am optimistic we can do it Since bf and I don't live together, it's already tough to get time to spend together, and three of his rotations this year will be at military medical centers on the other side of the country! I'm working hard on enjoying the time we do have, though, and trying to involve myself in other things when he's busy (I quickly learned this year that me sitting around moping improves nothing, but sometimes it's hard not to mope!). Luckily my job keeps me pretty busy, and I've recently joined some groups and classes to try to meet more people. I have a couple friends in the DC-area, but find that many of them simply don't understand the time commitment that med school involves and think my bf is a "bad bf" for never spending time with me. And they're all married or in long-term couples, so I often feel like an extra wheel when I spend time with the couples and my bf can't come. Anyway, it's refreshing to see a group of spouses who know this angle of things. I look forward to meeting you all and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions on how you all survive
    -Caitlin

I learned pretty quickly that it's hard to find objective people to talk to about a medical SO. Hopefully we'll be that for you now! Welcome to the site!

Comment

Hey Caitlin-

You've found your place. My husband is a USUHS grad from '00. We're at BAMC now in San Antonio. There are several other military spouses and PeggyfromWaState is another USUHS spouse. She's still in DC as her husband is doing his residency.

Check out the military spouses section and if you have any questions, we can answer them!

Jenn

Comment

Welcome!
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

PM me if you want some inside info! If your BF rotates at WR or Navy, my DH will be there... I know about the away rotations tho- DH did 10 months of away rotations and other trainings during his stint at USUHS.

We graduated from USU... ??? 2007? Time goes by quickly, but slowly, you know...
          Last edited by peggyfromwastate; 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM. Reason: I forgot the year we graduated!!! Had to look it up!
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

- and I seriously must live under a rock because I didn't realize there was an actual military medical school!

What do you do for a living? Is your boyfriend interested in a certain specialty?

Glad to meet you!
              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Welcome!
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Marissa-

I grew up there and didn't realize it. I would have been stalking those men in uniform much earlier...

Jenn

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Glad to see there are other military folks here. I'm still getting used to all the lingo/rules/the way things work-- I've never had any family or friends in the military and never would have guessed I would date anyone in the Army until SO got into his program.

Jenn-- my SO will do rotations at WR, NNMC, Tripler, Madigan, and San Diego. I'll probably visit him once at each place.

He's not sure what he'll do for a specialty yet-- trying to keep an open mind going into rotations and see what he likes. Right now he's just focused on passing Step 1.

Comment

My husband rotated at each of those places plus Wilford Hall and BAMC here in San Antonio and he did rotation at Portsmouth.

If he's going to stay at the VOQs, they're pretty nice. I visited him at Madigan and a couple times when he was here in SA. I didn't bother with Tripler as much as I wanted to as I figured I could either visit him a once a month everywhere OR go to Hawaii.

There's a ton of lingo and the Army has some 'unique' ways of doing things so ask away. The good news is that the military residency assignments are done in December of M4 so we're not biting fingernails in March with everyone else. As a USUHS grad, he'll be most likely to do his residency in whatever he selects at one of the Military Medical Centers so you already know 'most likely' where he'll end up!

Jenn

Comment

Cool. He really wants to stay in DC, so is hoping for Walter Reed, but we'll see. I'm sure it'll also depend a lot of what specialty he ends up going for. I actually didn't know how early residencies were assigned for them-- that's pretty nice!

Comment

Welcome!

I lived in Bethesda when I was a kid. Are you from the area? We moved away for residency though.
                          Wife to Anesthesia PGY4

Comment

Welcome!
                            You have a great attitude for this lifestyle. It took me much longer to quit moping (most of the time )and get a life of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
                              Navy as in NNMC? (I'm not down w/ the lingo) My friend's an intern there.

Oh, and WELCOME to the OP! My fiance took Step 1 last year but got his MHA this year so this summer he'll start Med 3. We're civilian though.
                              Yeah, it's a bad habit... Navy... But it will be called *Walter Reed National Medical Center* by 2012- when the new *MONSTER* hospital opens up. That place will be so huge...
                              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                              X