Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Just starting down the path!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting down the path!

Hi!

My husband will be starting his MS1 in a few weeks. Of course, this means we are in the process of moving halfway across the country (yay!?) which is exciting and nerve racking all at the same time. I have my bachelors in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, but am currently earning my MBA/MPH which will take me a few years. No children as of yet, but we have one cat who we adore.

I tend to be pretty talkative and as I am moving a few states from most of my support structure, I thought I would give this a shot as it seems to be full of people who can understand this path - especially of being the "support crew" for a medical spouse.

My husband is thinking of taking the HPSP Air Force scholarship, but we are not sure yet, any candid input would be appreciated.

Thanks!! (Sorry for being so verbose, I warned you that I can be talkative!)

-Crystal
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Welcome Crystal!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Hi! Welcome! You will find a lot of support and answers to questions here. I am loving this site so far
      Living the Life of Intern Year...

Comment

Hi there - we have several military spouses on this board who can give input.
        Kris

Comment

HI!!
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Welcome
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Hello and Welcome!!
              Brandi
              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Welcome Crystal! My BF is just starting MS3, so I'd be happy to answer any questions about the first few years. He goes to USUHS, and is in the Army, but it's obviously different than HPSP. Good luck to him deciding whether to go down that path-- it certainly has many rewards in its own way-- I struggled a lot with it when he first decided to join because no one in my family had ever been exposed to a military lifestyle before, but then realized being a military doctor is one of the most selfless and rewarding jobs he could have. Anyway, didn't mean to ramble, but glad to see another new face.

Comment

Hi! Welcome!

Comment

Welcome...consider this your home away from home for the next several years!

Comment

Welcome! Glad to have you here!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

and nice to meet you! What is an MPH? Masters in physics? Are you going to be able to finish school with the move? There seem to be a lot of experienced movers here - medicine seems to mean moving a lot!
                        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post
                          and nice to meet you! What is an MPH? Masters in physics? Are you going to be able to finish school with the move? There seem to be a lot of experienced movers here - medicine seems to mean moving a lot!
                          MPH is a Masters in Public Health, that is the one that people always ask me about. I am fortunate to have found a program that I can complete *almost* entirely online, I still have about 2.5 years to go. When I started pursuing this path, we weren't sure where my DH was going to get accepted and so when I found the online format I jumped on it. There is also some flexibility in the program which will allow me to keep working to support us (and the precious loans too!).

I just think of moving as another adventure, although by nature I am a "homebody." I have a few items that I will not part with that will turn any place I live into a "home." We are a long way from being able to settle, so I am trying to adopt the moving-is-fun perspective! (That being said, you can all still expect to hear about my "adventures" in moving, although I am crossing my fingers, hoping for no big trials or problems!!)

-C

Comment

Originally posted by army md girlfriend View Post
                            Welcome Crystal! My BF is just starting MS3, so I'd be happy to answer any questions about the first few years. He goes to USUHS, and is in the Army, but it's obviously different than HPSP. Good luck to him deciding whether to go down that path-- it certainly has many rewards in its own way-- I struggled a lot with it when he first decided to join because no one in my family had ever been exposed to a military lifestyle before, but then realized being a military doctor is one of the most selfless and rewarding jobs he could have. Anyway, didn't mean to ramble, but glad to see another new face.
                            Thanks for the perspective, I am sure I will be coming to you with further questions. Neither my family nor my DH's family has been largely affiliated with the military (since our grandfathers in WWI/II). DH shadowed/volunteered with a neurologist in a VA clinic and he found he had a lot of respect for both the doctors and the patients. Of course, the scholarship involved will help immensely - although I don't think I would support him if that was the only reason he was considering it. His family has been, ahem, less than supportive, but I am really proud of him for considering such an honorable path. *shrug* Now I'm rambling...

Thank you all for the warm welcome, it has been overwhelming! I'm really looking forward to getting to know you.

-C

Comment

Welcome! My DH went to med school in Denver. It's been a couple years since we lived there but if you have any questions, let me know and I'll help if I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X