Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Newbie from Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Colorado

Hello!
    I'm so happy to have found this sight. I want to introduce myself & don't know where to start...My name is Tara and my husband is an intern in pediatrics here in Denver (where the "big dig" has begun to get our car out of our garage after the big snowstorm). After reading many of your posts, I'm glad to find out that my husband isn't the only one frustrated with medicine. In fact, he's switching from Peds to Radiology this July. Fortunately we didn't have to go through the match again. The University of Colorado radiology program added on two new spots in their program & we were lucky enough to get one of them. So we're embarking on yet another adventure... By the way, I hope the match went well for all today.

I also would like to ask the advice of anyone who has bought a house using a special physician loan. We recently entered into a contract to buy a house & I'm trying to line up financing. It seems that most of these programs do the 80/20 thing, where you get two loans (one for 80% of the price of the house, one for 20%) so you can avoid private mortgage insurance. If anyone out there has any advice on the best programs out there, I'd love to here it.

By the way, I forgot to mention that we have two kids (4 & 2), both born during medical school in Connecticut. They are pretty used to not seeing their dad very much. In fact, my 4-year-old often asks his dad (when he's actually home) why he isn't sleeping, or tells his friend that his dad "sleeps alot." Sound familiar?

Can't wait to get to know you all better....
    Tara

Hi Tara,
    We are digging out too. Just thankful to have power so that we could get match results via computer.
    My husband started IM at CU, decided to switch to derm and has been doing a research fellowship in derm while applying. Today we found out that we matched at Univ of Oregon. Yeah!
    That is so great that your hubby was able to get into rads w/o having to go through the match again. We have a good friend who is doing his first year of rads at CU -- he is loving it (esp after intern year)!
    What part of town do you live in? (You can send me a private message). We are near the hospitals.
    Nellie

Comment

Tara -- I just saw on your profile that you are a finance manager. How funny -- I used to do the same for Qwest.

Comment

Hi, Tara! My husband is currently a rads resident at Brigham and Women's (although Colorado's rads program was on the radar at one time). I have four children: 6 years, twin 4 yr olds, and a 14 month baby/toddler (I'm still in denial she's hit "toddlerhood" so I call her my baby). That is cool that Colorado let your husband take over one of the new rads spots - particularly given how difficult it is to match in radiology! I'll bet that was a huuuuge relief for you guys emotionally and financially!
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Welcome!
          We used to live in Colorado (we miss it on occasion)- Matt attended med school there and did his internship in IM at CU. That is wonderful your hubby got a spot in the CU radiology program. Matt (my hubby) is an anesthesia resident at UW, we have 2 yrs and 3 mos left. We have a 14 mos old (who I am having a hard time admitting as well that she is toddler now, and no longer a baby), and we are expecting #2 in August.

It's a real small world- but Nellie's hubby went to med school with Matt, and they interned together as well.

I hope you get your car dug out soon.

Crystal
          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Tara,

Welcome to the boards. Good for your hubby and you that he switched into something that he liked better early on. I definitely understand the sleeping daddy syndrome. It sounds like we will have a lot in common.

Join in!

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
            X