Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

First Time Here and Need All the Help I Can Get!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Here and Need All the Help I Can Get!

Hey everyone. I am wife of med student slated to graduate in may. we are moving to lubbock texas and my head is in a whirl looking for a job, house, etc. i need all the advice you guys can give me!

Jennifer,

Congratulations on the match. This is a stressful yet exciting time for you. We did this last year. I remember the stressful part REALLY well! We have good friends who matched in Lubbock last year. He is in pathology. Are you looking to buy a home? The cost of homes in Lubbock are GREAT from what I have heard. Our same friends built their new home (just under 2,000 sq. feet) for about $110,000. I was impressed!

We are in San Antonio finishing up the internship year. My husband, Russ, matched into anesthesia and it really has been a good experience overall for us so far. We moved from Glendale, AZ and had to sell our house there and buy a new one here. We came to San Antonio for 5 days over Memorial weekend to buy a home. We found what we were looking for and really everything fell into place, even when I didn't think it would. We got an offer on our house in Arizona the night before we left for San Antonio. It was crazy but we survived.

What kind of work are you looking for? I was fortunate to keep my job from Arizona doing medical transcription over the Internet. I didn't know I was going to be able to keep my job though until a week before we left. Like I said, it all worked out in the end.

We have four children and I think the hardest part about moving for us was our kids having to say goodbye to their friends. They still miss Arizona and we are still working on the adjustment for them after 9 months.

I wish you all the best and it really will all work out in the end!!

Congrats again on the match!!

Robin

Comment

Re: First Time Here and Need All the Help I Can Get!

Originally posted by JenniferB
      i need all the advice you guys can give me!
      RUN AWAY!!!
      sorry, just kidding. :P

Seriously, be prepared for a tough year ahead. But it will be over - we're in the home stretch of internship right now, and I never thought we'd make it, but here we are! We also bought a house, etc., in the meantime. Just take it day by day and you'll get through.
      It was undeniably tougher because of the baby and the environment we're in for the year, so yours should be nicer.
      Speaking of Lubbock - I have a friend who named his kid Austin Tyler cause those are the 2 towns in TX he was from....I commented that it was good he wasn't from Lubbock. (or amarillo!)
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Robin---Please pick me up off the floor after reading how reasonable property is in Lubbock...I'm so jealous.

Jennifer,

Welcome to the boards...we love Jennifers here. Like so many of the members here, I too have moved my family hours away to a new city within 12 weeks of finding out where we would be living for residency. You will find that you are not alone amongst this group. There will be times when you think you're going crazy...just stop on by and we'll affirm that you are not. Join us!

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome Jennifer!

As one of the other Jennifers, I can tell you that we are a fabulously wonderful group of people here!

You have a big adventure on your hands but I promise, you will get through it. Moving, looking for a job, etc, is such a pain, isn't it? We're doing the whole process all over again now that my husband is finishing his peds residency and we're heading off for a peds neuro fellowship.

The adventure continues... but this nicest part about this group is that there's always someone ahead of you who can help you along the way, and there's always someone behind you that you can support!

Jenn

Comment

Jennifer,

My husband is a fourth year too. Luckily though he matched in Louisville, where we are now, so we don't have to pack up and move. But, we have a lot of friends going through the same thing you are.

One of our friends matched at Wake Forest, and the program there sent him a list of all of the residents who were finishing up there and wanted to sell their houses. You may be able to contact his program and get a similar list.

Good luck on everything. I am sure it will fall into place.

Is your husband done with school yet? Mine is, so he gets three months of rest and relaxation. The calm before the storm.

Emily

Comment

I have two friends whose husbands graduated a year ahead of him from his med school who both matched out in Lubbock. They both bought houses going into residency!!! The cost of living out there is super-low and from what I understand a bunch of the residents have families (so you'll have others to mingle with). I don't know what the job market is like out in Lubbock (I was born and grew up in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area of Texas) but good luck!
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
              X