Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hi there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there!

Hi All,

What a great website! My name is Danielle and my husband is starting medical school in August. Let the long journey begin..... I am so glad I found this site. It is going to be so helpful.
    Danielle

Welcome Danielle!!!

Glad you found the website. My name is Robin and my husband is just finishing internship year of residency. Three more years to go!!! He is going into anesthesia. We are here in sunny San Antonio with our four children.

Again welcome!!

Robin

Comment

Hi Danielle,

Welcome! My name is Tonya and my dh completes his PGYIII year of the Preventive Medicine Residency next month. We live in West Palm Beach, Fl. You will find this site to be so helpful during your "medical journey."

Comment

Welcome

Welcome Danielle! My husband finished residency and fellowship 2 years ago (Wow, how the time flies). We finally settled down in freezing MN. We have three children and one on the way 8) .

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Dear Danielle,
          You are so lucky to have found this website so early on your medical spouse journey. My husband is coming to the end of his training period...I think......and we are looking for a real job as a grown-up full fledged attending physician!!!! It is a long, long road to go down with lots of bumps along the way. My best advice is to:
          1. Make and keep as many girlfriends as you can, as they will be able to support you when your husband is too tired or not around.

2. Expect the unexpected...embrace change.....accept sleep deprivation as a part of life from time to time---much moreso if you have kids too.

3. Know that it is possible to get through this and many have survived before you. You can do it!!!!!

4. Things will ge tworse before they get better...and they will get better...much better.

5. Do your own thing..........work, hobbies, outside stimulation from the medical world-----whether you have kids or not, it's needed.

6. Enjoy the journey and appreciate the tough parts....it will make the good parts even better.

Goodness, I hope this doesn't sound too depressing. As I reread it...it does. Everyone goes through this differently and needs to find ways to cope with the extreme demands of medical training and applications, board exams, call-nights, etc. I don't want to scare you too badly, as medical school is very different than residency.....and I feel very far removed from that period of our lives. We finished medical school, did part of a surgical residency, and then a nuclear medicine fellowship......and now it's been 10 years since the beginning of med. school. The beginning is very exciting!!!!! Be well!!!!! And give as many backrubs as you can---we find that helps lots!!!!

Comment

Dear Danielle,
            You are so lucky to have found this website so early on your medical spouse journey. My husband is coming to the end of his training period...I think......and we are looking for a real job as a grown-up full fledged attending physician!!!! It is a long, long road to go down with lots of bumps along the way. My best advice is to:
            1. Make and keep as many girlfriends as you can, as they will be able to support you when your husband is too tired or not around.

2. Expect the unexpected...embrace change.....accept sleep deprivation as a part of life from time to time---much moreso if you have kids too.

3. Know that it is possible to get through this and many have survived before you. You can do it!!!!!

4. Things will ge tworse before they get better...and they will get better...much better.

5. Do your own thing..........work, hobbies, outside stimulation from the medical world-----whether you have kids or not, it's needed.

6. Enjoy the journey and appreciate the tough parts....it will make the good parts even better.

Goodness, I hope this doesn't sound too depressing. As I reread it...it does. Everyone goes through this differently and needs to find ways to cope with the extreme demands of medical training and applications, board exams, call-nights, etc. I don't want to scare you too badly, as medical school is very different than residency.....and I feel very far removed from that period of our lives. We finished medical school, did part of a surgical residency, and then a nuclear medicine fellowship......and now it's been 10 years since the beginning of med. school. The beginning is very exciting!!!!! Be well!!!!! And give as many backrubs as you can---we find that helps lots!!!!

Comment

Nice to meet all of you. Thank you Laurel for such great advice. I do have a 2 1/2 year old who keeps me very busy. I will also start working again in June. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
              Danielle

Comment

Welcome Danielle,
                Ditto to all of the above. My husband is a Pulmonologist, and even though the training years are way behind us, I still NEED this website. I am an RN and it helps that we can see one another at work!!!
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome Daniel,

Will you be moving to start medical school? Do you have to transfer jobs, etc. If so, I'm hoping it will go smoothly. By the way, most medical schools have spousal support groups, you should check it out.

Don't hesitate to jump right in. For sure we have someone in this pool of individuals who has been there, done that.

Welcome.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                  X