Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

my new adventuere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new adventuere

Hi,
    I think I came upon this website a few years ago, when my husband was first talking about wanting to go to medical school, but forgot about it, as he wasn't even accepted yet. So, I found the site again, as my husband got early acceptance for a medical school in another state. I am super excited and am looking forward to it. But, will be honest as the task of moving, selling our home, and making new friends looms over I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I am excited to find this network, and looking forward to meeting some new friends. How can I find what kind of networks are available in the state we are moving to or the one that we currently live in?

Thanks!

Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place

Comment

Welcome. This is the best support group I've found in the many years we've been on this journey. Some med schools have groups for the SO's of the student but some don't. Your dh can ask during orientation if the info isn't offered. Welcome again to the long and bumpy journey of medical training! Oh yeah, tell us more about yourself!
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Welcome to the group!

Yep, most schools have a spouse/SO group. If not, you'll get to know classmates, their SO's, and new neighbors. You could also look into online meet-up groups, too, if that's something that works for you.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome. Medical school is scary. My husband is in his third year. But, I believe it is well worth the trials.

Comment

Hello!!

Out of training but still remember moving for med school to a new city with no friends/family. Post often - can't wait to get to know you better.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Welcome! You're fortunate to have found this site so early. I didn't know about it until intern year, and I could have really used it during medical school. Do you currently work? Finding a new job is pretty daunting after a move like that.

There are some groups on here for certain areas/cities, but I'm not sure how active those are. Are you comfortable saying where you are moving to? (If not, that's completely okay.)

Looking forward to getting to know you!
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

HI and welcome! Another idea is to look on Facebook. Our residency spouse group has a Facebook group. Our group isn't active for some reason, but I think it's a quick and easy way to get started! GL!
                  Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                  "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Welcome! What area are you moving to?

Some med schools have groups for the SO's of the student but some don't. Your dh can ask during orientation if the info isn't offered.
                      Check into it--ours is awesome and we all hang out quite a bit!
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Welcome!
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

HI, thanks for all the responses, it is really nice to find an active online forum board! We are moving to California the school is in Vallejo, CA, but we haven't taken a trip to look at places or areas nearby to live in. I did check out the school's clubs and they do not have one that is for spouses or SO's so maybe i'll start one if when I get there, and there really isn't one.

I do work, and have been thinking about changing careers and might take the opportunity to do that while DH is in school. Right now, I feel like I am living a double life, as I have a job and they have no idea, and I know they would let me go if they knew I was moving in less than a year, in fact when I was interviewing they made it a point to ask me numerous times what my husband was doing and if we were going to stay in state for a number of years. Which at the time we didn't know and so you can't put "all your eggs in one basket". Anyone else felt like this with their jobs and relocating? How do you deal with finding work while relocating?

Comment

Originally posted by rubybullet View Post
                            Right now, I feel like I am living a double life, as I have a job and they have no idea, and I know they would let me go if they knew I was moving in less than a year, in fact when I was interviewing they made it a point to ask me numerous times what my husband was doing and if we were going to stay in state for a number of years. Which at the time we didn't know and so you can't put "all your eggs in one basket". Anyone else felt like this with their jobs and relocating? How do you deal with finding work while relocating?
                            This is not right...in fact it is not legal. What kind of place asks about your spouse during a job interview? I totally understand about employers wanting long-term employees but if they were in a bind, they would not hesitate to lay you off. When DH was about to finish fellowship everyone assumed I was leaving too. I told my dept chair when he asked "when are you leaving?" - "I am not sure what my spouse's career has to do with my job performance or tenure - do you?" I stayed for another year after DH left because that was best for my career.

ETA - Forgot to answer the question since I was on my soapbox. Sorry. It has been challenging for me to find positions to support my career with all the moves. I am not going to lie to an employer but I am also never going to answer any questions pertaining to my personal life. What my spouse does is none of their business. I would look for jobs just like anyone else that does not live the gypsy life that is medicine.
                            Last edited by medpedspouse; 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM.
                            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                              This is not right...in fact it is not legal. What kind of place asks about your spouse during a job interview? I totally understand about employers wanting long-term employees but if they were in a bind, they would not hesitate to lay you off. When DH was about to finish fellowship everyone assumed I was leaving too. I told my dept chair when he asked "when are you leaving?" - "I am not sure what my spouse's career has to do with my job performance or tenure - do you?" I stayed for another year after DH left because that was best for my career.
                              I was at a company for almost 3 years and a couple times every year they would cut my pay more than half, which is legal here where I live. They were having money issues and instead of closing their doors they stayed open and I was under constant stress on weather or not I was going to get paid, they knew the situation with my DH and that I was going to move someday, so it seemed perfect, however it became a strain and it was hard to pay for school apps, mortgage and all the other bills with this type of income since I am the breadwinner, so I applied for jobs, since at the time we hadn't heard anything. So I found this company and I had a few interviews with them. I did think it was a bit odd that they wanted to know my personal life especially pertaining to my DH, but on the same line I was so desperate to get out of where I was that it seemed to be the only option. When they asked, I told them that he had applied, had interviews and hadn't gotten in. Which was the truth at that time. Unfortunately, since I have been working there I have learned that they are a interwoven company that likes to know all about your personal life, I was told that the last person in my position didn't last very long because they were not open about their personal life. For the most part these last 2 jobs that I have had here have been pretty weird, and I am looking forward to moving on and out of this state for our new chapter.

Comment

Working...
                              X